"I simply do not know where the money is, or why the accounts have not been reconciled to date. I apologize, both personally and on behalf of the company, to our customers, our employees and our investors. I truly know that they are bearing the brunt [of the collapse]."
- Jon Corzine, head of MF Global Holdings Ltd., telling lawmakers in Washington he does not know what happened to a missing $1.2 billion.
"Germany is the unquestioned leader of Europe. France is definitely subordinate to Germany, and Britain has less influence than at any time I can recall."
- Charles Grant, director of the Center for European Reform, regarding consequences of the eurozone crisis.
"The truth is that markets in the whole world right now don't trust the euro area at all."
- German finance minister Wolfgang Schaeuble, on the threat of a Standard & Poor's downgrade of all the euro nations.
"Words alone are not believed anymore because too often we did not live up to our words."
- German Chancellor
"Somebody's got to pay for what's been done."
- Gary Quarles, whose son was one of 29 men killed in an April 2010 mine explosion in West Virginia, after Alpha Natural Resources agreed to pay $209 million in restitution.
"We're particularly pleased that a substantial portion of the settlement is going towards furthering miner safety, which has always been Alpha's guiding principle."
- Kevin Crutchfield, Alpha Natural Resources CEO.
"[The deal] significantly extends our market-leading, ultra-high-net-worth, private-placement franchise."
- John K. Hillman, president and CEO of Philadelphia FinancialGroup Inc., after buying the private-placement sector of Hartford Financial Services for $117.5 million.
"If you fundamentally believe Internet video will change the world in 20 years, we are the leading play on that basis. As long as we don't shoot ourselves in the foot anymore."
- Netflix CEO Reed Hastings.