Makes 4 servings
For the Salsa Morito:
4 garlic cloves
1 tomatillo, husked and halved
Salt and pepper
2 dried morito or chipotle peppers
For the Strawberry Avocado Crema:
4 strawberries, stemmed and hulled
1 avocado, pitted
1 cup sour cream
4 ounces heavy cream
2 ounces cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Huevos Rancheros:
10 ounces corn tortillas, cut into 1-by-3-inch strips
4 ounces duck confit or sliced duck breast
4 ounces shredded Cooper American cheese
More cilantro, for garnish
1. Make salsa: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place garlic and tomatillo on a sheet tray. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast until brown, 6-8 minutes. Set aside. In a dry skillet, toast peppers until brown and aromatic. Remove from heat and set in a bowl, cover with water, and allow to sit until soft and plump. Add garlic, tomatillo, and peppers to blender. Blend until smooth, adding a little water to thin out the salsa. Taste for seasoning, and adjust as needed.
2. Make the crema: Combine all ingredients, and process until smooth. Taste for seasoning, and adjust as needed.
3. Heat a large pot or Dutch oven filled with 2 inches of canola oil. When the oil reaches 350 degrees F, add tortilla strips. Fry until golden grown, and then allow fried strips to drain on a sheet pan lined with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
4. In a small skillet, fry eggs sunny-side up.
5. To assemble, divide corn strips across two plates. Top each plate with duck meat and 2 eggs. Spoon salsa over the eggs, and add several dollops of crema. Sprinkle American cheese on top, and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Courtesy of Kriss Serviss of Blue Duck