Makes 4 servings
For the tenderloin:
1/3 cup soy sauce (or lower-sodium soy sauce)
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
2 whole pork tenderloins (1 to 2 pounds total)
For watermelon salad:
4 cups watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
1. To prepare the tenderloins, place all the marinade ingredients in a bowl, and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Place the tenderloins in a large resealable plastic bag, and pour the marinade over them. Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible, and refrigerate for at least 6 to 8 hours, up to overnight, turning the bag occasionally.
2. When almost ready to cook the meat, prepare the watermelon salad. Assemble all the ingredients except the salt in a large mixing bowl, and toss gently.
3. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
4. Set up a grill to cook with direct heat. Remove the tenderloins from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Place the tenderloins on the grill, and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, turning every 3 or 4 minutes to cook on all sides, for medium, or until the internal temperature reaches 145°F.
5. Transfer the tenderloins to a plate, cover, and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
6. Strain the remaining marinade over a small saucepan to remove the ginger.
7. Add 2 tablespoons water, bring to a boil, and then decrease the heat to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. The sauce should be slightly thickened. (If too thick, add a teaspoon of water at a time until the desired consistency is reached.)
9. Slice the tenderloin into medallions and drizzle the sauce over them. Serve with a side of watermelon salad finished with a sprinkle of sea salt.
Per Serving: 335 calories; 41 grams protein; 19 grams carbohydrates; 15 grams sugar; 10 grams fat; 110 milligrams cholesterol; 542 milligrams sodium; 1 gram dietary fiber.