The young woman who fell to her death from a rooftop booze party near Temple University was a Lancaster native and West Chester University student.  Ali Fausnaught, 19, was socializing with friends on the roof of a house on 18th Street near Arlington about 5 p.m. when she somehow fell over a 10-inch ledge on the roof and plummeted nearly 40 feet onto the concrete in a narrow alley between buildings. She died at Temple University Hospital at 5:51 p.m.

Dr. Matthew J. Bricketto, West Chester University's vice president for student affairs, released this statement today: "We were very saddened to learn last evening that one of our students, Ms. Ali Fausnaught, was tragically killed after an accidental fall from a third-story roof top while visiting friends at Temple University. A native of Brownstone, Pa., Ms. Fausnaught was a recent transfer to West Chester University and was majoring in psychology in the College of Arts & Sciences. We extend our deepest condolences to the entire Fausnaught family, and all of Ali's friends and classmates during this very difficult time. Our Student Affairs staff, as well as faculty in the Counseling Center, will be available to assist any students as they learn of this sad news today and in the days ahead."


THE "SPRING FLING" celebration at Temple University turned deadly for a young woman Wednesday, when police say the 19-year-old plunged 39 feet from a rooftop to her death during a party near campus.

Just after 5 p.m., police were called to the house, on 18th Street near Arlington, Chief Inspector Scott Small said.

Officers found a gruesome scene: The woman, according to investigators, somehow had fallen over a 10-inch ledge on the roof, which was crowded with dozens of partygoers, and plummeted into a narrow alley between buildings, likely "ricocheting" on her way down.

Police described a bloody scene where the young woman landed on the concrete. She was rushed to Temple University Hospital but died at 5:51 p.m., Small said.

Responding police found beer cans and bottles in the house, and dozens of people were still on the roof, Small said. Cops quickly ordered the revelers off the roof and whisked eight witnesses to Central Detectives to be interviewed.

Small said it was unclear whether alcohol played a role in the fall, and that detectives were investigating to rule out any foul play. Initial police reports said it appeared to have been an accident.

A ladder inside the house leads to a hatch in the roof, which provided partygoers acces to its surface, cops said.

Officials said the young victim was not a Temple student. She reportedly attended another area university, but her identity was withheld Wednesday, pending notification of her family.

As police investigated, throngs of students milled around the block and hung out on stoops.

"It's tragic. You can't let some people up on the roof if they look intoxicated," said Temple business major Nick Cross, 22, as he watched police across the street.

Ari Remetz, 22. a religion major, said he'd been on a roof earlier in the day.

"I'm not ever going on the roof again," the student said.