She stole deliveries off S. Philly stoops, cops say

A South Philly woman learned the hard way Thursday that Santa isn't the only one watching.

Police say Amanda Beason, 28, turned herself in early yesterday after surveillance footage of her and an unidentified accomplice stealing packages Thursday night from outside two homes on 17th Street near Bigler made the rounds on social media.

Beason is charged with theft and related offenses for stealing two packages, one containing a piece of luggage from Victoria's Secret valued at $175, and another containing a Casio keyboard valued at $150, said Capt. Laurence Nodiff of South Detectives. She returned the stolen packages to police.

Nodiff said police have identified Beason's partner as a South Philly resident.

Man fumbles cigarette, falls onto subway track

A man is in stable condition after falling onto the track area of SEPTA's Broad Street Line yesterday, transit police said.

He apparently lost his footing at the line's Wyoming Station as he was looking for a cigarette he dropped onto the track. He was taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center after complaining of back and neck pain.

Police: Chop-shop operators sold parts online

Two men were arrested Thursday in connection with an illegal chop-shop operation in Philadelphia and Delaware counties, police said.

Kurt Maier, 32, and John Little, 55, were charged with theft and related offenses after a monthslong investigation into their operation, in which Ford trucks and vans were stolen, broken down and then sold piecemeal on Craigslist.

Villanova gathering to honor Newtown victims

A coalition of local anti-gun-violence groups are expected to gather at Villanova University today for a vigil and march to honor the 20 children and six adults who were fatally shot last Dec. 14 at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

Former Gov. Ed Rendell and Lori Haas, the mother of a student who was wounded in the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre, are among those who will speak at 2 p.m. inside the Connelly Center. A walk and candlelight vigil will follow at 4 p.m.

Lawsuit claims Marine's suicide was preventable

The parents of a Marine who took his life last year filed a federal lawsuit in Philadelphia yesterday against the Department of Defense and the Navy, alleging that military officials tried to cover up information about the incident.

Sgt. Brian LaLoup, 21, of Honey Brook, Chester County, told colleagues that he was depressed and having suicidal thoughts while in Athens, Greece, on Aug. 12, 2012.

LaLoup's commander was notified, but didn't follow protocol that called for LaLoup to get medical treatment, according to the lawsuit, filed by local attorney Aaron J. Freiwald.

LaLoup got heavily intoxicated at a party at the U.S. Embassy in Greece, walked into an unsecured room where firearms were stored and fatally shot himself in the chest.

- David Gambacorta and Vinny Vella