Levance Fields scored four consecutive points in the final minute and No. 12 Pittsburgh held off a frantic rally by its city rival, host Duquesne, winning, 73-68, last night to remain unbeaten.
Sam Young had 23 points and five rebounds to counter Shawn James' 20 points, nine rebounds and five blocks for Duquesne (6-2), which never led, but closed to within one point several times after falling behind, 14-0, in the opening 3 1/2 minutes.
Mike Cook added 12 points and Fields and DeJuan Blair had 10 each for Pitt, which is 8-0 for the sixth consecutive season and has never lost to Duquesne in eight games as a ranked team. Pitt won its seventh in a row in the rivalry known as the City Game.
In other games:
* At Vanderbilt, A.J. Ogilvy (23 points) made a hook shot with 30 seconds to play and then hit two free throws to seal the No. 23 Commodores' 83-80 win over Wake Forest. Shan Foster tied a season high with 26 points for Vanderbilt (8-0).
* At Gonzaga, Aron Baynes (13 points) led No. 6 Washington State (8-0) to a 50-44 win over the No. 19 Bulldogs (7-2).
* At Kansas, Darnell Jackson's 17 points led the No. 3 Jayhawks (8-0) over Eastern Washington, 85-47.
* At Texas, D.J. Augustin had 29 points and 10 assists and the No. 4 Longhorns (8-0) defeated North Texas, 88-72.
* At Birmingham, Ala., DaJuan Summers had 18 points and nine rebounds and No. 5 Georgetown (6-0) dominated down the stretch to beat Alabama, 70-60.
* At East Carolina, freshman Terrence Oglesby hit six three-pointers and scored a season-high 22 points to help No. 18 Clemson (8-0) win, 82-67.
* At BYU, Trent Plaisted had 14 points, 15 rebounds and five blocks to lead the No. 20 Cougars (7-1) over Weber State, 72-57.
* At Xavier, Drew Lavender scored 17 points as the No. 21 Musketeers (7-1) handed Creighton (5-1) its first loss of the season, 79-66.
* At Gonzaga, Aron Baynes (13 points) led No. 6 Washington State (8-0) to a 51-47 win over the No. 19 Bulldogs (7-2).
In women's games:
* At Tennessee, Angie Bjorklund scored 19 points and Candace Parker added 14 as the top-ranked Lady Vols (7-0) routed No. 24 Old Dominion, 83-51. Tiffany Green's 14 points led the Moncarchs (6-3).
* At Maryland, Kristi Toliver scored 19 points and started a late 11-0 run to help the No. 3 Terrapins (11-1) hold off Middle Tennessee, 74-69.
* At Hartford, Conn., Tina Charles scored 18 points and Brittany Hunter added 14 as No. 2 Connecticut (7-0) beat Virginia, 75-45. *