Report: FBI questions singer
in Clemens perjury probe
The FBI has questioned country singer Mindy McCready, who allegedly had an affair with Roger Clemens, as it investigates whether Clemens perjured himself before a congressional committee in discussing steroids, the
New York Daily News
The Daily News earlier had reported that Clemens had a decadelong relationship with McCready. The paper, citing sources close to the government's investigation, reported that McCready was questioned about her relationship with Clemens. They reportedly met in 1991 when she was 15, and sometime thereafter allegedly began an affair that continued until 2006.
"She's relevant because she spent 15 years in a relationship with Roger Clemens and probably knows a lot about Roger's associates and activities," Richard Emery, a lawyer for former Clemens trainer Brian McNamee, said.
McNamee has said he injected Clemens with steroids and HGH numerous times from 1998 to 2001, when he was with the Toronto Blue Jays and the Yankees. Clemens has denied the allegations, rebutted McNamee's claims in his congressional testimony in February, and filed a defamation suit against the trainer.
* The Texas Rangers activated Kevin Millwood (groin) from the 15-day disabled list, and the righthander was scheduled to start tonight against Oakland.
* Yankees catcher Jorge Posada (shoulder) caught seven innings and went 1-for-2 with two walks in an extended spring training game.
In games yesterday:
* At St. Petersburg, Fla., Joe Crede and Paul Konerko homered to help lead the Chicago White Sox over the Tampa Bay Rays, 5-1.
* At Kansas City, Kevin Slowey pitched a six-hitter and Carlos Gomez had four hits and two RBI, leading the Minnesota Twins over the Royals, 5-1.
* At Oakland, Jesse Litsch (7-1) won his fifth straight decision and extended his scoreless streak to 16 innings, Rod Barajas had three doubles and drove in three runs, and the Toronto Blue Jays routed the Athletics, 12-0.
Eric Chavez, who had offseason surgery on his back and both shoulders, went 0-for-4 in his season debut for Oakland, which put Frank Thomas on the DL with a knee and quadriceps injury. *