A.J. Abrams scored 31 points, including the last six of the game for No. 8 Texas, sending the Longhorns to a 68-64 victory over No. 12 UCLA last night.
Abrams broke a 62-62 tie with a three-pointer with 2:53 to play, then made two free throws a minute later to push Texas' lead back to three. After the Bruins' Josh Shipp missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with 15 seconds left, Shipp fouled Abrams who made one of his two free throws for the final point.
Abrams' 31 points matched his career high. Texas' Damion James added 13 points and 13 rebounds, including a big grab after Shipp missed his free throw. James' basket with 3:46 to play tied it at 62.
The Longhorns (6-1) held UCLA (4-2) scoreless after Alfred Aboya's basket with 2:28 left pulled the Bruins within 65-64.
Darren Collison scored 22 points for the Bruins.
The Longhorns are off until Tuesday night, when they play No. 17 Villanova in New York.
In other games:
* At Oklahoma, Blake Griffin scored 11 of his 25 points after getting hit with a cheap shot elbow in the second half by Southern California's Leonard Washington, and the No. 6 Sooners (7-0) held off the Trojans, 73-72. Washington was ejected for the move.
Wayman Tisdale, Oklahoma's all-time leading scorer, got a standing ovation at halftime in his first return to the Lloyd Noble Center since having part of his right leg amputated because of cancer.
* At Buffalo, Hasheem Thabeet had 21 points and 18 rebounds and No. 2 Connecticut (8-0) held off the Bulls, 66-64.
* At Arizona State, James Harden had 22 points and eight rebounds as the No. 19 Sun Devils (6-1) beat Jackson State, 81-60.
* At Hartford, Michael Turner and Joe Zeglinski each had 26 points to lead the Hawks (3-5), 97-82, over Lafayette (2-5), which got 20 points from Andrew Brown.
* Miami Hurricanes scoring leader Jack McClinton was cleared to play tomorrow against Kentucky after being ejected from a game Tuesday against Ohio State. He took a swipe at an opposing player, but Atlantic Coast Conference officials declined to penalize him further after viewing video of the incident.
Meanwhile, reserve guard Eddie Rios was reinstated after being suspended indefinitely Tuesday for violating a team rule.
* Kentucky forward Ramon Harris was released from the hospital a day after colliding with a teammate during a game Wednesday night.
* LSU sophomore forward Garrett Green (back) will be redshirted for the 2008-09 season. *