Former Indiana standout Eric Gordon believes drug use caused a rift on last season's Hoosiers, according to a story posted on the
Web site last night.
Gordon declined to identify which players allegedly used drugs, but said D.J. White and two others still on the team were among those who did not.
"It was the guys that were doing drugs that were separate," Gordon told the newspaper.
Gordon, who left after his freshman season and now starts for the Los Angeles Clippers, said some players' drug use led to friction on the team. Gordon said he spent time with a family friend in Bloomington because of the atmosphere surrounding some players.
Then-coach Kelvin Sampson tried to stop the drug use, Gordon said, but Sampson "was just so focused on basketball and winning and everything."
"Sometimes it felt like it wasn't even a real basketball team because of all the turmoil that went on," Gordon said.
Former Indiana guard Adam Ahlfeld said players were aware of the drug problem.
"I wasn't really with those abusing drugs, so I can't say what was really going on," Ahlfeld told the newspaper.
Indiana started 17-1 last season, but things began spiraling out of control as allegations surfaced about a recruiting scandal involving Sampson, whose contract was bought out in February.
* Syracuse guard Eric Devendorf is appealing a suspension imposed by a university judicial hearing board after he allegedly hit a female student in the face and will be able to play ball and attend classes during the appeal process.
* Southern Utah players Mike Josserand, Byron Byrd and Cory Davis were suspended for a game each for violating unspecified team rules.
* At Pittsburgh, DeJuan Blair had 21 points and 16 rebounds as the No. 3 Panghers (11-0) defeated Siena, 79-66.
* At Duke, Gerald Henderson and Kyle Singler both scored 14 points as the No. 6 Blue Devils (9-1) routed North Carolina-Asheville, 99-56.
* At Syracuse, Rick Jackson scored a career-high 14 points, Paul Harris added 13 points and 11 rebounds, and the No. 11 Orange (10-1) defeated Canisius, 82-60.
* At Michigan State, Raymar Morgan had 26 points and 10 rebounds and the No. 19 Spartans (7-2) beat The Citadel, 79-65.
* At Ohio State, David Lighty had 21 points to lead the No. 17 Buckeyes (7-0) over Jacksonville, 81-68.