Free-agent centerfielder

Willy Taveras

agreed to a two-year contract yesterday with the Cincinnati Reds. Financial terms of the deal weren't immediately known.

Taveras spent two seasons in Colorado but became a free agent this month when the Rockies were unable to trade him at the winter meetings.

In 2008, Taveras hit .251 and led the big leagues with 68 steals and a .907 stolen-base percentage.

Pro basketball

Chicago Bulls forward

Luol Deng

could miss up to a week with a sprained left ankle suffered Friday night at Miami.

Cleveland Cavaliers forward

Wally Szczerbiak

will miss at least one week with a bruised right knee.


Syracuse guard

Eric Devendorf

, 21, could be back on the court Tuesday for a Big East Conference opener against Seton Hall after completing 40 hours of community service. He was suspended after a Nov. 1 off-campus altercation in which he was accused of hitting a female student on the jaw with the heel of his hand.


Rob Ambrose

was hired as the football coach at Towson, signing a five-year contract with his alma mater after serving for seven seasons as an assistant at Connecticut. . . . Florida Gators coach

Urban Meyer

picked offensive line coach

Steve Addazio

to succeed new Mississippi coach

Dan Mullen

as offensive coordinator.


St. Louis Blues left winger

Paul Kariya

will have surgery on his left hip and could miss the rest of the season.

The New York Islanders recalled center

Jeremy Colliton

from Bridgeport in the AHL, a day after left winger

Andy Hilbert

suffered a hairline fracture in his left foot.


Tiger Woods

(No. 1) and

Phil Mickelson

(No. 3) will be the only Americans in the top-10 world rankings at the end of this year. That's the smallest U.S. representation in the top 10 since 1995, with

Corey Pavin

(No. 5) and

Fred Couples

(No. 7).

AJ Allmendinger is set to replace Elliott Sadler in the No. 19 Dodge in 2009, reported, citing multiple Gillett Evernham Motorsports team sources. He was released by Red Bull Racing late last season.

Wild Oats

XI overcame an encounter with a 7-foot shark to win the Sydney-to-Hobart race off the coast of Australia for a record fourth consecutive time today. The yacht finished in 1 day, 20 hours, 34 minutes, 14 seconds.

Last night, Wild Oats hit a shark that became entangled in the rudder.

Ian Burns

, the navigator, said the boat had to stop to allow the shark to free itself.