DUBLIN, Ohio - PGA Tour rookie Matt Bettencourt and Mark Wilson survived a roller-coaster afternoon yesterday in the Memorial and shared the lead after 54 holes at Muirfield Village.

Tiger Woods and a pack of major champions were behind them.

Bettencourt made eight birdies to offset his mistakes in a round of 4-under-par 68. Wilson bogeyed his first three holes, but recovered for a 69 to join the rookie at 9-under 207.

Former U.S. Open champion Geoff Ogilvy had a tournament-best 63 to get into contention. Woods made his move on the back nine for a 68. Davis Love III and Jim Furyk were among those within 4 shots of the lead.

Champions Tour

LAKEWAY, Texas - Bernhard Langer shot a 3-under 69 to maintain a 1-stroke lead after the second round of the Triton Financial Classic.

The German star, a two-time winner this year on the Champions Tour, had a 10-under 134 total on the Hills Country Club course.

Gene Jones (66) was second, Jeff Sluman (69) and Mark O'Meara (6) were 7 under, and Jay Haas (68), Scott Hoch (69), and local star Tom Kite (70) were 6 under.


SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - Cristie Kerr made a big jump into a tie for the lead with Kristy McPherson in the State Farm Classic, delivering a dominant showing before a late fade in the third round on a windy day.

Four strokes back after the second round, Kerr settled for a 6-under 66 after bogeying two of the final three holes at Panther Creek Country Club.

McPherson stumbled at the end, bogeying her final two holes for a 69 that left her tied with Kerr at 12-under 204 heading into the last round in the final tune-up for next week's LPGA Championship at Bulle Rock.

Michelle Wie fell out contention with a 77 that left her at 1 under.

European Tour

NEWPORT, Wales - Nick Dougherty eagled the final hole in a 1-under 70 to share the lead in the Wales Open after the third round, which was delayed by 61/2 hours by rain.

Jeppe Huldahl of Denmark (68) and Ignacio Garrido of Spain (71) were even with Dougherty at 5-under 208. Paul Waring (70) and Simon Dyson (70) were a shot back.

After play began following heavy overnight rain and a downpour in the morning, all but one group finished their rounds at Celtic Manor.