SINCE WE are devoting much of today's sports section to Stan Hochman's 50th anniversary at the Daily News, we asked Stan to provide us with his favorite people to have covered and be around and his least favorite, as well as a look at the chronology.
Here are the lists:
* 1951: Drafted into Army, served 2 years.
* 1953: Worked in Augusta, Ga.; Brownsville,
Corpus Christi and Waco, Texas; San Bernardino, Calif.
* 1959: Went to work for the Daily News on June 9, covering the Phillies.
* 1963: Crossed over to radio, morning sports on WCAU.
* 1965: Weekend sports anchor on Channel 6.
* 1966: Became columnist after Larry Merchant left for New York Post.
* 1969: Became sports editor and continued to write columns. After 3 years, returned to writing columns full-time. *
Graduated NYU, taught school for 2 years. John Denny, Ken Linseman, Joe Kuharich, Norman Braman, Gene Mauch, Barry Bonds, Bob Gibson.