As Michael Jordan sat on an exercise bike just off the Charlotte Bobcats' practice court, Duke's Gerald Henderson and Louisville's Terrence Williams did their best to impress the team's managing partner, who could decide between the two shooting guards with the 12th pick in Thursday's draft.

It was the second time this month that Williams and Henderson, a graduate of Episcopal Academy, had auditioned for Bobcats coach Larry Brown.

"He was talking all that Carolina mess," Henderson said of Jordan, the Tar Heels' most famous basketball alum. "He said he had his old shorts underneath his jeans and if he took them off I'd be scared to death. He's always talking junk. It's cool, though."

Brown sees the 6-foot-4, 215-pound Henderson, who left Duke after averaging 16.5 points as a junior, as strictly a shooting guard.

"I don't think he's even come close to tapping what he's capable of doing," Brown said.

Brooklyn deal. The owner of the New Jersey Nets will get a 22-year delay on paying the full $100 million for the right to build a new arena in Brooklyn under a deal made public yesterday.

Developer Bruce Ratner, the Nets' principal owner, will pay the Metropolitan Transportation Authority $20 million up front and another $80 million in installments.

He had originally agreed to pay the MTA $100 million upon closing for development rights to rail yards it owns.

Clippers will keep pick. Los Angeles officials said they remain intent on keeping the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, and are expected to take Oklahoma's Blake Griffin.

"The pick's not going anywhere," assistant general manager Neil Olshey said.

Jurisprudence. Jayson Williams will remain free after a judge in Somerville, N.J., rejected a prosecutor's request to revoke his bail and send him to prison for covering up the shooting of a hired driver more than seven years ago.

Williams, who played for the Nets and 76ers, was convicted in 2004 of trying to cover up the shooting death of his Costas "Gus" Christofi at his mansion in Alexandria Township, N.J. He was acquitted of aggravated manslaughter, but the jury deadlocked on a reckless manslaughter count and he is facing a new trial.