LANDOVER, Md. – Eagles running back

Brian Westbrook's

evening came to an abrupt end in the first quarter last night when he took a knee to the helmet from Washington Redskins linebacker

London Fletcher

and appeared to be knocked unconscious by the blow.

Westbrook left the game and did not return. It was announced that he had suffered a concussion.

Coach Andy Reid said after the Eagles' 27-17 victory that he thought Westbrook would be OK, but he'd have to go through a battery of tests with trainer Rick Burkholder before he'll be cleared to play Sunday against the New York Giants.

"It looked like he was out cold," Reid said. "I was hoping he was OK. He wasn't moving . . . and when a player is not moving that worries me. I think he's going to be all right."

Westbrook dropped the football as soon as he finished a 5-yard run with 7 minutes, 3 seconds left in the first quarter and did not move for a long time, drawing attention from the Eagles' medical team and concern from players on both sides.

The most concerned player was Byron Westbrook, the running back's younger brother and a member of the Redskins. After the officiating crew ordered players from both teams to give the Eagles' doctors room to work on Westbrook, coach Andy Reid invited the younger brother to talk to his brother.

"I thought it was important that he talk to him," Reid said. "The officials were doing a good job clearing people away, but it's a little different when it's your brother."

Brian Westbrook eventually was able to get to his feet and leave the field on his own.

McNabb milestone

Donovan McNabb

became the fourth quarterback in NFL history to throw for 30,000 yards and 200 touchdown passes while also rushing for 3,000 yards and 20 touchdowns.

Action Jackson

DeSean Jackson

was happy to wipe away the memory of last December's humbling 10-3 loss to the Redskins. He did so in a huge way, scoring on a 67-yard end around and a 57-yard touchdown reception to give the Eagles a 27-7 lead.

Jackson, however, suffered an ankle injury after his second touchdown and was taken in for X-rays.

In last year's game here, the Eagles wide receiver dropped three passes in the fourth quarter including a potential game-tying touchdown. Jackson, who was bullied by the Redskins' secondary that day, threw up his hands in disgust at one point when McNabb failed to find him alone in the Washington secondary. In the end, the then-rookie finished with two receptions for 14 yards.

It was "just a situation where I was open I was like, I didn't get the ball, jumping around, then when it comes my way I'm not ready for it," Jackson said last week. "So it just shows me to be patient and take a play at a time."

Mitchell honored

The Washington Redskins honored a former Eagle before last night's game. Running back

Brian Mitchell

, one of the most productive return men in NFL history, was inducted into the Redskins' Ring of Fame. Mitchell was the Eagles' punt and kick returner from 2000 to 2002, but did the majority of his work during 10 seasons with the Redskins, beginning in 1990.

During his 14 seasons - he spent his final year with the New York Giants - Mitchell set league records for most total return yards (19,013), most kickoff return yards (14,014), most punt return yards (4,999), and most total return touchdowns (13).

The Redskins selected Mitchell in the fifth round of the 1990 draft after he had played quarterback at Louisiana-Lafayette. He was part of the Redskins team that won the Super Bowl after the 1991 season.

Extra points


Max Jean-Gilles

, listed as questionable Saturday because of a strained shoulder, did not dress for the first time this season. The Eagles' other injured inactives were cornerback

Dimitri Patterson

(quad), wide receiver

Kevin Curtis

(knee), defensive end

Victor Abiamiri

(knee), and linebacker

Omar Gaither

(foot). Linebacker

Joe Mays

and guard

Mike McGlynn

were healthy scratches and

Kevin Kolb

was listed as the third quarterback for the second straight week. . . . Rookie safety

Macho Harris

left in the first half with an ankle injury. He was replaced by

Sean Jones.