Defensive end

Trent Cole

said he was defending teammate

Jason Babin

on Sunday night when he sent a couple of punches at the helmeted head of New York Giants center

Shaun O'Hara


Cole found out yesterday that his action cost him a considerable amount of cash. He declined to say how much, but a league source said the fine was $15,000. Cole said he would not appeal.

The league source said that O'Hara was also fined $15,000.

"I embarrassed myself and my team," Cole said. "It was just a situation I didn't want to be in . . . but it happened and you have to deal with it, take the consequences, and move forward to the next week."

Coach Andy Reid said Monday that Cole was protecting one of his teammates, and Babin confirmed yesterday that he was that teammate. Babin said two Giants offensive linemen had taken cheap shots at him while he was on the ground.

"Stuff happens," Cole said. "I'm always there to help and protect any of my teammates. It was a situation that got ugly and it got out of hand."

Cole was a limited participant in practice yesterday because of a strained hamstring. He said he expects to play Sunday against the 49ers.

It is believed that Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson received a letter from the NFL yesterday, but he denied that he received a fine. Jackson was involved in a third-quarter altercation with Giants safety Aaron Rouse. After an incomplete pass, Jackson got in Rouse's face and the safety retaliated with a helmeted head butt.

Celek misses practice

Tight end

Brent Celek

sat out with a sore back that flared up before Sunday's game. "It's definitely improving," he said.

Celek said it was difficult to play against the Giants, but he didn't want to let his teammates down.

"It's tough, but you can't play this sport if you're not tough," he said.

Celek said he would be ready for the game Sunday.

The Eagles will likely dress a third tight end after signing Martin Rucker from the practice squad Tuesday.

Westbrook update

Brian Westbrook,

out for the last four games after suffering a second concussion, was a limited participant in practice. Reid said he was not planning on having the veteran running back on Sunday.

"I'm just getting him back into football shape," Reid said. "He literally couldn't do anything for a couple of weeks there. You can't throw him back in. He's still taking the concussion tests. He's better, but not all the way completely cleared there."

Extra points

Jeremy Maclin

did not practice, but Reid said the rookie wide receiver was feeling "a little bit better" after leaving Sunday's game with an injured left foot. Reid would not rule out Maclin for the 49ers game. Receiver

Kevin Curtis

practiced; he has missed 11 straight games with a knee injury. . . . Tackle

Winston Justice

said he was involved in a minor traffic accident with a Philadelphia police car Saturday at 20th Street and Pattison Avenue. "There were about 10 police officers there," Justice said. "A few of them recognized me."