Kentucky coach John Calipari doesn't agree with Bobby Knight that college basketball lacks integrity or that he is proof there is a problem.
Calipari refused to get into a war of words yesterday when asked about the pointed criticism from Knight that Calipari's continued employment proves the game has a problem. Instead, Calipari said he remains a "big fan" of the former Texas Tech and Indiana head coach.
"I don't agree with what he says, but it doesn't change how I feel about him," Calipari said.
Calipari said Knight's comments surprised him.
"I get up to go to mass this morning and there's like 100 text messages and I'm like what in the world happened?" Calipari said. "And I get word and what I can tell you is I'm a big fan, respect him as a basketball coach, always have."
Knight called out Calipari during a fundraiser for the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame on Thursday.
"We've gotten into this situation where integrity is really lacking, and that's why I'm glad I'm not coaching," Knight said. "You see, we've got a coach at Kentucky who put two schools on probation and he's still coaching. I really don't understand that."
Both Memphis and Massachusetts were forced to vacate Final Four appearances by the NCAA for infractions made during Calipari's tenure, though Memphis is appealing the penalty. Calipari was not implicated in either case by the NCAA.
* Tonight's HBCU Basketball Classic at the Liacouras Center, featuring men's and women's teams from Lincoln and Cheyney, was postponed until 1 p.m. Jan. 31, because of the predicted snowstorm. All tickets bought for the original doubleheader will be honored on the rescheduled date.
* Sophomore backup forward Olek Czyz is leaving Duke and intends to transfer to another Division I school, officials said.
* Senior guard Mike Gerrity was granted a wavier by the NCAA and is eligible to play for Southern California. He transferred from Charlotte after the first semester of the 2008-09 season.
* At North Carolina-Greensboro, Anthony "Humpty" Hitchens scored 14 points and Akron (6-3) cruised to an 83-59 victory.
* At South Carolina State, Jason Flagler scored 19 points and Carrio Bennett made a three-point play with 4 seconds left in overtime as the Bulldogs (6-2) defeated Furman, 93-91.
* At Morehead State, Demonte Harper made two free throws with 34 seconds left and finished with 17 points as the Eagles (4-4) beat East Tennessee State, 60-58.
In women's games:
* At Kennesaw State, Mo Bennett had 23 points and No. 25 Georgia Tech (8-2) rolled, 94-48.