Jamar Briscoe scored 14 points, fed Phil Jones for the go-ahead layup with 7.4 seconds left and host Charlotte handed No. 7 Tennessee its second stunning upset loss of the week, 49-48, last night.
Cameron Tatum missed a desperation heave at the buzzer for the Volunteers (7-2), who followed a blowout win over then-No. 3 Pittsburgh with losses to Oakland and Charlotte.
Derrio Green added 13 points and the 49ers (5-6) overcame 30 percent shooting by using a zone defense that stymied the Volunteers into 35 percent shooting.
Scotty Hopson scored 13 points for Tennessee.
In other games:
* At Wagner, Kareem Maddox scored 15 of his 23 points in the first half as Princeton (8-3) prevailed, 69-57, for its sixth straight win.
* At Indiana, Christian Watford scored 18 points, and the Hoosiers (8-2) held Southern Illinois-Edwardsville scoreless for almost 9 minutes to open the game in an easy 88-54 victory.
* At Elon, Keegan Bell had 23 points and Chattanooga (5-6, 3-0 Southern Conference) won, 71-65.
In a women's game:
* At Xavier, Amber Harris had 22 points and 13 rebounds and the No. 5 Musketeers (10-0) beat Mississippi State, 61-36.
* Michigan State coach Tom Izzo will serve a one-game suspension tonight against Prairie View A&M for a secondary violation of NCAA rules related to a summer basketball camp. Michigan State employed someone associated with a potential recruit during a basketball camp in June.