A MAN who worked as a teenager in the Boston Red Sox clubhouse with big-name players such as Roger Clemens and Wade Boggs said his "dream job" ended abruptly when the clubhouse manager sexually assaulted him.
Charles Crawford and another Massachusetts man are now accusing Donald Fitzpatrick, who died in 2005, of abusing them in the early 1990s. The statute of limitations has expired for filing lawsuits, but the men are seeking $5 million settlements from the team.
During a news conference yesterday, Crawford said Fitzpatrick assaulted him twice inside the clubhouse at Fenway Park - once in an equipment room and once in a restroom. He was 16 at the time.
"People need to know what happened," said Crawford, who agreed to have his name used. "It's still mind-boggling to me."
Fitzpatrick had been accused of sexually abusing children earlier. In 2002, he pleaded guilty in Florida to attempted sexual battery on a child under 12. The team also settled a lawsuit with seven Florida men who said Fitzpatrick molested them during spring training beginning in the 1970s.
Crawford said he decided to come forward now after U.S. Sen. Scott Brown's revelation earlier this year that he was molested by a counselor at a summer camp when he was 10 and the more recent sexual abuse allegations made against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky.
Crawford's lawyer, Mitchell Garabedian, said the newest allegations are believed to be the first time that Fitzpatrick has been accused of molesting boys at Fenway. The new allegations were first reported by the Boston Globe.
Garabedian said he sent the Red Sox a letter last month informing them of the new allegations and asking for the settlements.
Red Sox attorney Daniel Goldberg did not immediately return two calls seeking comment, but in a statement he said the Red Sox "have always viewed the actions of Mr. Fitzpatrick to be abhorrent."
"When the team, then under a previous ownership group, became aware of the allegations against Mr. Fitzpatrick in 1991, he was promptly relieved of his duties," Goldberg said.
Ron Santo was elected to baseball's Hall of Fame, chosen by the Veterans Committee nearly a year to the day after the Chicago Cubs third baseman died hoping for the honor.
Santo breezed in with 15 votes from the 16-member panel. It took 75 percent - 12 votes - to get chosen.
Santo was a nine-time All-Star, hit 342 home runs and won five Gold Gloves. He was a Cubs broadcaster for 2 decades, beloved by his fans for eagerly rooting for his favorite team on the air.
Former Phillies lefthander Jim Kaat was second with 10 votes.
* The Securities and Exchange Commission is investigating the financing of the Miami Marlins' new downtown stadium.
The $634 million, retractable-roof stadium, set to open for the 2012 season, has been controversial from the start because more than three-fourths of its costs are being borne by taxpayers.
* The Los Angeles Dodgers and free-agent righthander Aaron Harang are close to a deal, ESPNLosAngeles.com reported.
Harang, 33, a 10-year veteran, went 14-7 with a 3.64 ERA in 28 starts for San Diego last season.
* Terry Francona is swapping jobs with Bobby Valentine. ESPN announced that Francona will become an analyst for its Sunday night game telecasts next season, joining Dan Shulman and Orel Hershiser.