RICK NASH and Martin St. Louis each scored twice, Henrik Lundqvist made 30 saves and the New York Rangers extended their winning streak to seven games with a 4-2 victory over the visiting Washington Capitals last night.
The game matched two of the NHL's hottest teams in their final outing before the Christmas break. Washington had won three in a row, picking up points in nine straight games (7-0-2).
Mats Zuccarello and Derick Brassard had two assists apiece for the Rangers.
Evgeny Kuznetsov and Alex Ovechkin scored for Washington.
It was the first meeting of the season between the Metropolitan Division rivals. The Rangers and Capitals are tied with 40 points in third place - the last guaranteed playoff spot in the division. New York has two games in hand on the Capitals.
* At Uniondale, N.Y., Carey Price made 37 saves, and Andrei Markov and Brendan Gallagher scored second-period goals as the Montreal Canadiens cooled off the New York Islanders with a 3-1 victory.
David Desharnais scored with 1:11 left to make it 3-1 for the Canadiens, who mustered only 21 shots.
Kyle Okposo scored in the first period for the Islanders, who had won four straight.
* At Newark, N.J., Chris Terry scored the only goal of the shootout and goalie Anton Khudobin came up big late in winning for the first time this season as the Carolina Hurricanes defeated the New Jersey Devils, 2-1.
Khudobin, who had 18 saves, stopped Scott Gomez, Mike Cammalleri and Adam Henrique in the shootout.
* At Boston, Loui Eriksson and Brad Marchand scored two goals apiece and Patrice Bergeron had three assists for the Bruins in a 5-3 win over the Nashville Predators.
David Krejci also scored for the Bruins, who held the Predators to 10 shots through the first two periods. Tuukka Rask made 22 saves for Boston.
* At Dallas, Jonathan Bernier made 43 saves, and James van Riemsdyk had a goal and two assists to help lead the Toronto Maple Leafs to a 4-0 victory over the Stars, who had a four-game winning streak snapped.
It was Bernier's second shutout of the season and ninth of his career.
* At Detroit, Tomas Tatar scored twice as the Red Wings defeated the Buffalo Sabres, 6-3, to end a six-game losing streak.
* At Tampa, Fla., Tyler Johnson scored three goals and the Tampa Bay Lightning snapped a 10-game losing streak to the Pittsburgh Penguins with a 4-3 win.
It was the Lightning's first win over Pittsburgh since Nov. 17, 2011.
* At Denver, Semyon Varlamov returned from an injury and stopped 26 shots in his second shutout of the season, leading the Colorado Avalanche past the St. Louis Blues 5-0.
Jarome Iginla, Alex Tanguay and Ryan O'Reilly each had a goal and an assist for Colorado, which has won three in a row and is 4-0-2 in its last six games.
* At Edmonton, Sam Gagner had two goals and two assists, and the Arizona Coyotes swept the season series against the Oilers with a 5-1 win.
* At Chicago, Mathieu Perreault scored twice to lead the Winnipeg Jets to a 5-1 win over the Blackhawks.
Michael Hutchinson had 38 saves for the Jets, who led 3-0 after the first period.
* San Jose forward John Scott will have a phone hearing today for knocking out Anaheim Ducks right wing Tim Jackman with the butt-end of his stick during a game at Honda Center on Monday.