10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, which will occur within a few weeks and are within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. 15th annual Monacan Indian Nation Powwow. May 19-20. Madison Heights, Va. Spend the weekend visiting some Native American craftspeople and artists from the United States and Canada. See native drumming and dancing in full regalia. www.monacannation.com; 434-946-0389.
2. Lilac Festival. May 11-20. Rochester, N.Y. Thousands of lilacs and other spring flowers, a parade, races, arts and crafts shows, daily entertainment, and horticultural exhibits. www.lilacfestival.com; 1-800-677-7282.
3. HorseFest 2007. May 19-20. Kirtland, Ohio. See more than 20 breeds of horses, including the Budweiser Clydesdales. www.lakemetroparks.com; 1-800-366-3276.
4. Star Party. May 19. Green Bank, W.Va. The National Radio Astronomy Observatory presents a public star party on the observation patio with optical telescopes. www.gb.nrao.edu; 304-456-2150.
5. Spring Farm Days. May 19-20. Milton, N.H. Learn how daily farm chores were performed in the 19th century, with wool-weaving demonstrations, steers competing in plowing contests, and visits to blacksmith and shoe shops. 603-652-7840.
6. Stowe Basketry Festival. May 14-20. Stowe, Vt. Learn from basket makers from around the world as you study and work on your favorite styles, from traditional to classic and contemporary. www.roundhearth.com; 802-253-7223.
7. 5th annual Paddle Days Festival. May 18-20. New Milford, Conn. Take advantage of the warm water by canoeing and kayaking. Music, vendors and a barbecue. 860-354-3276.
8. Rhode Island Scottish Highland Festival.
May 19. Richmond, R.I. Watch amateur Scottish athletic competitions, research your ancestry, eat Scottish food, and enjoy a variety of Scottish entertainers. www.riscot.org; 860-889-8022.
9. Maryland Brewer's Spring Fest. May 19. Frederick, Md. Sip hundreds of beers from more than 12 Maryland breweries and pair them with food while listening to live music and checking out artists' works. 1-800-830-3976.
10. National Pike Steam, Gas and Horse Association Spring Show. May 19-20. Brownsville, Pa. See working displays of antique construction equipment, sawmill and shingle making, plus crafts, a flea market, live music, and hayrides. www.nationalpike.com; 724-785-6855.
- Cody GlennEndText