10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, occurring within a few weeks and within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. 15th Annual Providence Boat Show. Jan 3-6. Providence, R.I. Powerboats, sailboats, kayaks, inflatables, and boating equipment, services, and accessories at one of New England's largest winter boat shows.
2. Waterville Valley Winterfest. Jan 5. Waterville Valley, N.H. Dinner, silent auction, and ski race with local celebrities.
3. Salem Stampede Championship Rodeo. Jan 4-6. Salem, Va. Rodeo with bull riding, barrel racing, calf roping, steer wrestling, and bareback and saddle bronc riding. 540-375-3004.
4. Ellicottville's Winter Blues Festival. Jan 2-6. Ellicottville, N.Y. Up to 15 live performances from regional blues entertainers.
5. Cranapalooza. Jan 5. North Conway, N.H. Rodeo-themed event with night skiing on 11 trails, performances by Pay the Piper and Mr. Phil, face painting, and free giveaways.
6. 12th Annual Moby Dick: The Marathon. Jan 3-4. New Bedford, Mass. A nonstop reading of the American classic to commemorate Herman Melville's departure aboard the whaling ship Acushnet.
7.The Snow Won't Stop Us: Mountain Bike Slalom. Jan 5. North Creek, N.Y. Downhill mountain bike race in the snow for the fun of participants and spectators.
8. East Coast Firearms Show. Jan 4-6. Greenwich, Conn. Antique and sporting firearms and custom knives.
9. Emancipation Proclamation Observance. Jan 5. Newport News, Va. Reenactments, storytelling, and history lessons to honor the day the Emancipation Proclamation was issued.
; 757-247-2360 or 757-247-2380.
10. Stamford Symphony "Exploring the Orchestra." Jan. 6. Stamford, Conn. Concert to engage children's creativity and allow them to participate in "Peter and the Wolf."
- Elizabeth Fox
"10 for the Road"