10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, occurring within a few weeks and within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. Moonlight Boat Tour. York, Pa. July 3. Gaze at the stars and listen to an astronomy talk while on a night boat ride on Lake Redman. 717-840-7440; www.yorkcountyparks.org.
2. African American Festival. Dover, Del. June 27. Explore cultural and history through exhibits and artistic entertainment. Browse the marketplace and enjoy family hands-on activities including percussion demonstrations and arts and crafts. 302-736-0101; www.africanamericanfestival.org.
3. Oceanfest. Long Branch, N.J. July 4. Stroll the beachfront and boards, enjoy performances by dancers, singers and musicians, and sample food from vendors. 732-222-0400; www.longbranchchamber.org.
4. Olde New England Day Brewfest. Lincoln, N.H. June 27. Grab your pint glass and sample beer from breweries from across New England. 603-745-6621; www.lincolnwoodstock.com.
5. Harborfest 2009. Boston. June 30- July 5. Experience colonial and maritime history during the city's annual festival packed with entertainment, historical reenactments, walking tours, sunset harbor cruises, free concerts, and children's activities. 617-227-1528; www.bostonharborfest.com.
6. New York State French & Indian War Commemoration. Youngstown, N.Y. July 3-5. A living history encampment with 2,300 reenactors portraying British and French forces and American Indian warriors is planned as 2009 marks the 250th anniversary of the historic siege of Niagara. 716-745-7611; www.oldfortniagara.org.
7. Smithsonian Folklife Festival. Washington, D.C. June 24-28 and July 1-5. This annual event on the National Mall celebrates cultures and traditions from around the world, featuring music, dance, crafts, and food. 202- 633-6440; www.folklife.si.edu.
8. Fourth of July Celebration. Baltimore. July 4. A variety of live entertainment throughout the downtown region that culminates with a fireworks spectacular over the Inner Harbor. 1-877-225-8466; www.promotionandarts.com.
9. Ashland Balloonfest. Ashland, Ohio. July 2-5. Colorful hot-air balloons fill the skies. Also, entertainment, music, and shows throughout the event. 877-581-2345; www.ashlandohioballoonfest.com.
10. Independence Day. Williamsburg, Va. July 4. Celebrate our nation's birthday with fifes and drums, militia parades, and evening fireworks. 1-800-447-8679; www.history.org.
- Erica Lamberg