It's crunch time for procrastinators who plan to drive across the border to Mexico or Canada. As of last Monday, new rules require most Americans to show a passport, a new document called a passport card, or other high-security ID to re-enter the United States from those countries by land or sea; fliers already need a passport. "We will not deny entry to noncompliant travelers," said Kelly Ivahnenko, spokeswoman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection. But if you don't have the right documents, you may be delayed or referred to secondary inspection, she said. For details, visit the agency's Web page on this issue,

- Jane Engle,

Los Angeles Times