10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, occurring within a few weeks and within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. Eagle Watch. Bartonsville, Pa. Jan. 15. An environmental educator will lead a field trip along the upper Delaware River in search of resident and wintering bald eagles. 570-629-3061; www.mcconservation.org.
2. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Tribute. Jan. 15. Wilmington. An evening of jazz, gospel performances, drumming and dancing, plus other performing artists who will honor the civil-rights leader. 302-762-1132; www.wilmingtonmusic.org.
3. 25th annual Nautical & Wildlife Art Festival and 23d annual North American Craft Show. Ocean City, Md. Jan. 16-17. Fine art exhibitions and sales will feature paintings, sculptures, carvings, model ships, and fine crafts. 410-524-9177; www.donaldsduckshoppe.com.
4. Fireworks and Torchlight Parade. Stowe, Vt. Jan. 16. Catch this festive procession, which takes place on a mountain, under the stars. 802-253-3000; www.stowe.com.
5. 34th annual Miniature and Dollhouse Show. New City, N.Y. Through Feb. 28. Explore galleries of miniatures, dollhouses, room boxes, photographs, quilts and trains. 845-634-9629; www.rocklandhistory.org.
6. Mohican Winterfest. Loudonville, Ohio. Jan. 15-16. Ice carvings are displayed throughout the downtown district. Enjoy ice skating, winter hikes, carriage rides, and children's events. 419-994-4789; www.ohiotraveler.com/Venue%20Files/mohican_winter_fest_snowball_dance.htm.
7. New England Watercolor Society Regional Show. Duxbury, Mass. Through Jan. 17. A juried show featuring works including landscapes, ocean and urban scenes, international cities and more. 781-934-6634; www.artcomplex.org.
8. Rainforest Reptile Show. Newry, Maine. Jan. 16. Encounter alligators, turtles, and other species from tropical rain forests around the world. Naturalists will lead discussions and answer questions. 207-824-5955; www.rainforestreptileshows.com.
9. Balsams Winterfest Weekend. Dixville Notch, N.H. Jan. 15-17. Events will include ice-carving demonstrations, live music, sleigh rides, a torchlight parade, and fireworks. 1-800-255-0600; www.thebalsams.com.
10. Ghosts Among Us. Williamsburg, Va.
Jan. 15-18. During this walking tour, meet ghosts in historical, candlelit homes and hear their mystifying tales from the past. 1-800-447-8679; www.history.org.
- Erica LambergEndText