10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, occurring within a few weeks and within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. Gettysburg Festival. Gettysburg. June 18-27. A celebration of arts, culture, music and cuisine, including culinary events designed by a former White House chef. 717-334-0853; www.gettysburgfestival.org.
2. Enchanted Summer Day. Winterthur, Del. June 19. Celebrate the start of summer with crafts, music, and games. Children can explore the Enchanted Woods, a fairytale garden with an upside-down tree. 302-888-4600; www.winterthur.org.
3. Buffalo River Fest. Buffalo, N.Y. June 18-19. Live music and entertainment, a river regatta, classic car show, and more waterfront fun. 716-823-4707; www.thevalleycenter.com.
4. Antique and Classic Boat Festival. St. Michaels, Md. June 18-20. Take dad or grand-dad to see restored and well-preserved watercraft displayed on land and in the water. Maritime art and nautical merchandise for sale. 410-745-2916; www.cbmm.org.
5. Art on the Green. Plymouth, Mass. June 19. An outdoor festival showcasing New England artists selling paintings, sculptures, jewelry, photography and other items. Also, face-painting and crafts. 508-209-2000; www.pinehills.com.
6. New England Hooked Rugs as Art. Newry, N.H. Through June 20. Handcrafted hooked rugs that celebrate New England history are displayed, including plant and animal-themed pieces. Some rugs will be for sale. 603-763-4789; www.thefells.org.
7. Canoe Hullabaloo. Old Town, Maine. June 18-19. Canoe races for all skill levels, a canoe regatta, and other water activities, Native American exhibits, an antique car cruise-in, and live music. 207-827-8744; www.canoehullabaloo.com.
8. Father's Day at Mount Vernon. Mount Vernon, Va. June 19-20. "George Washington" will greet visitors, pose for photographs, and discuss his role as husband, stepfather, and father of our country. 703-780-2000; www.mountvernon.org.
9. International Festival of Arts & Ideas.
New Haven, Conn. June 12-26. Venues throughout the city will host music, dance and theater - all designed to inspire new ways of thinking. Also, family-friendly events and programs. 1-888-278-4332; www.artidea.org.
10. West Virginia State Folk Festival. Glenville, W.Va. June 17-19. A tribute to Appalachian culture and heritage, with banjo players and fiddlers, square dancing, an antique car show, quilt show, arts and crafts, and open jam sessions. 304-462-5000; www.wvfolkfestival.org.
- Erica LambergEndText