10 for the Road
10 for the Road You can plan now to attend these weekend events, occurring within a few weeks and within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, occurring within a few weeks and within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. Photo Tours of Boston. Boston. Dec. 24, 26. Photo tours of the Freedom Trail and Back Bay, with a mix of old and new architecture and historic sites. 617-851-2273; www.photowalks.com.
2. Blow Your Own Ornament. Staunton, Va. Dec. 26. Create your own keepsake ornament for the holidays. See glass-blowing demonstrations in the glass studio. 540-885-0678; www.sunspots.com.
3. Appalachian Mountain Club Guided Hike. Sleepy Hollow, N.Y. Dec. 26. A free, guided hike through the Rockefeller State Park Preserve. Walk through a working farm and rolling hills for a moderately strenuous hike. 617-523-0655; www.nysparks.state.ny.us.
4. 42d annual Celebration of American Crafts. New Haven, Conn. Through Dec. 24. More than 300 artists from across the country will sell glassworks, ceramics, jewelry, wearable and decorative fiber, and handcrafted furniture. 203-562-4927; www.creativeartsworkshop.org.
5. Candlelight Tours of Historic Homes. Newport, R.I. Dec. 26-28. Learn about winter traditions and tour Newport's historic private homes on a candlelight tour. 401-849-6454; www.christmasinnewport.org.
6. Stowe Festival of Trees. Stowe, Vt. Through Jan. 2. Decorated trees and artwork will be on display, representing a variety of cultures and countries. 1-802-253-8358; www.vtliving.com/events.
7. Lighted Christmas Rides. Candia, N.H. Dec. 24, 26. Ride in a horse-drawn carriage and meet animated characters along the farm trail. Santa, holiday displays, and a petting zoo. 603-483-5623; www.visitthefarm.com.
8. PNC Festival of Lights. Cincinnati. Through Jan. 2. Celebrate the holiday season with thousands of lights at the Cincinnati Zoo. See new themed areas, including Fairy Land, puppet theaters, and a gingerbread village, and experience "Happy Feet" in 4D. 1-800-944-4776; www.cincinnatizoo.org.
9. Hands-on History. Williamsburg, Va. Dec. 23. Visit the historic Benjamin Powell House in Colonial Williamsburg and learn about seasonality, housewifery, food and diversions during this family-friendly event. 1-800-447-8679; www.history.org.
10. Waterskiing Santa. Washington. Dec. 24. Costumed performers - Santa, elves, the Grinch, and Frosty the Snowman - show off watersport feats at the National Harbor. 703-280-1788; www.waterskiingsanta.com.
- Rachel GoukEndText