10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, occurring within a few weeks and within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. Miner's Memorial Day Festival. June 17-19. Windber, Pa. Celebrate the heritage of this small mining town with a classic car show, museum tours, live music, fireworks, and carnival games. 814-467-6680; www.echf.windberpa.org.
2. Tri-State Pottery Festival. June 16-18. East Liverpool, Ohio. In its 44th year, the festival offers pottery sales and demonstrations, plus unique events such as the National Doorknob Tossing Competition and Pottery Olympics. 330-385-7078; www.tristatepotteryfestival.org.
3. Arts Alive. June 18-19. Ocean City, Md. The city's largest arts show returns for its 11th year with a juried display of more than 100 artists' work, including furniture, glass, printmaking, and jewelry. 1-800-626-2326; ococean.com.
4. June German Ball & Juneteenth Festival Weekend. June 17-18. Martinsville, Va. Annual event commemorates the release of African Americans from slavery after the Civil War with dances, a cultural market, and community dinner. 276-732-3496; www.visitmartinsville.com.
5. West Virginia State Folk Festival. June 16-19. Glenville, W.Va. Hear the sounds of fiddles, washtub basses, banjos, and other classic folk instruments at the 62d annual music festival. Sample homemade barbecued chicken, beans, and cornbread. 304-462-5000; www.wvfolkfestival.org.
6. Buffalo RiverFest. June 17-18. Buffalo, N.Y. Build and race your own boat in a regatta, take a historic walking tour of the riverfront, and judge entries at an art and photography show. 716-823-4707; www.thevalleycenter.com.
7. Goshen Stampede. June 17-19. Goshen, Conn. Demolition derbies, tractor pulls, and a rodeo. 860-485-8586; www.goshenstampede.com.
8. Taste of Amherst. June 16-19. Amherst, Mass. Treat Dad to a culinary tour of this sleepy New England town, featuring everything from burgers and fries to international dishes. 413-253-0700; www.tasteofamherst.com.
9. Fields of Lupine Festival. Through June 19. Franconia Notch, N.H. Enjoy the annual blossoming of this wildflower with guided nature walks, an open-air market, and a floral show. 603-823-5661; www.franconianotch.org.
10. Father's Day Derby. June 18-20. Colchester, Vt. Annual Lake Champlain event features father-son teams competing for the biggest catch of lake trout, Atlantic salmon, largemouth bass, and six other types of fish. 802-879-3466; www.mychamplain.net.
- Vinny Vella