Zaria Estes, the high school girl who was scheduled to be tried as an adult for attacking a Temple University student with a brick this spring, pleaded guilty Tuesday morning.
Estes, 15, entered into a non-negotiated guilty plea to aggravated assault, conspiracy and possession of an instrument of crime. Three other charges were dropped: making terroristic threats, simple assault and reckless endangerment.
Common Pleas Judge Michael Erdos will sentence Estes on Dec. 17, according to on-line court records. She remains free on bail.
Because the plea was not negotiated between the District Attorney's Office and Estes' attorney, the sentence will be left up to the judge. The maximum sentence for the lead charge of aggravated assault is 10 to 20 years.
At a court hearing last month, Common Pleas Judge Benjamin Lerner ruled that Estes would be tried as an adult after listening to brick-attack victim Abbey Luffey testify about how the unprovoked March 21 attack by Estes and two other girls had impacted her life.
He said Estes' use of the brick to bash the victim's face made her actions more serious than those of her co-defendants, who did not use weapons. He approved an agreement that allowed the cases of Najee Bilaal, 15, and Kanesha Gainey, 16, to be handled in Family Court.
In addition to needing emergency surgery to save her teeth and repair the extensive damage to her face, Luffey testified that she was in such fear of another attack that she moved from campus back home and quit her campus job.
"One act by a group of strangers has consumed my life," Luffey said during last month's hearing.
Police said Estes and her co-defendants had attacked two other female Temple students before converging on Luffey and her boyfriend, Temple student Andrew Mazer, on Norris Street near 17th.
Assistant District Attorney Paul Goldman said last month that the three defendants acted like a "pack of predators" as they sought female Temple students to attack.