A relative of former mayor W. Wilson Goode was one of two men shot dead by officers over the weekend.

Lt. Frank Vanore said that Timothy Goode, 24, of the 1000 block of Pratt Street, was involved in a drug deal Friday night in Germantown.

The former mayor said today that Timothy Goode, whom he called his "great nephew," was his brother's grandson.

Vanore said that when police moved in, Timonthy Goode ran to Logan Street and turned toward police with a gun. Officers shot him twice, in the side and lower back. He died at Temple University Hospital.

A 9mm semi-automatic handgun and a bag containing 45 crack vials were recovered nearby, police said.

Plainclothes narcotics officers had been staking out the area of 200 Clapier St. where, police said, numerous drug transactions had been reported.

Timothy Goode was "a wonderful, lovable young man," the former mayor said today, while leaving church services. "I loved him dearly."

Asked if he had concerns about the way in which police conducted themselves, Goode said, "I don't know anything except that when someone is shot in the back, it raises questions that need to be objectively looked at."

But, he added, "I don't have any reason to suspect one thing or another."

"I have full confidence in Mayor Nutter and [Police] Commissioner Ramsey . . . that at the end of the investigation, there will be a complete and objective report."

To his knowledge, Goode said, Timothy had no criminal past or previous run-ins with the police.

He did not know where Timothy had recently been employed and did not see him frequently. However, he said, the entire Goode family is close.

Mayor Nutter said yesterday that he had expressed his condolences to both former Mayor Goode and Councilman W. Wilson Goode Jr.

In another shooting in North Philadelphia early yesterday, police shot and killed 21-year-old Trevar Cephas, who continued to draw a gun despite a police order to drop it.

Both men were pronounced dead at Temple University Hospital.

In both cases the police officers were not identified. They were placed on a standard administrative leave as the case is investigated by both homicide detectives and internal affairs, according to police.