Nine people were shot - one fatally - in a wave of violence Tuesday across Philadelphia.

Shortly before 6:30 p.m. in the 400 block of West Courtland Street in Feltonville, a 19-year-old man was shot once in the back, police said.

Responding officers rushed him to Temple University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 6:46.

Just after 8:30 p.m. in the 2900 block of West Cumberland Street in Strawberry Mansion, two men were critically wounded in a double shooting, police said.

A 21-year-old man was shot in the chest and back, and was transported to the Temple hospital by police. A 23-year-old man was shot multiple times in the torso and was taken by private automobile to the hospital.

"At least 12 shots were fired," said Chief Inspector Scott Small.

In addition, a stray bullet pierced the frame of a living-room window of a house in the 2400 block of North Hollywood Street.

The bullet struck a wall "just one or two feet" from a man who was sitting on a couch watching basketball on TV, Small said.

"He's very, very fortunate," Small said of the man, whose wife also was inside the corner house.

About 8:30 p.m. at 51st and Race Streets in West Philadelphia, a 20-year-old man was shot in the right arm and calf. A 25-year-old at the same location was shot three times in the right leg and once in the right arm. Both men were listed in stable condition at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

A little after 5 p.m. at 49th Street and Fairmount Avenue, in the Mill Creek section of West Philadelphia, a 21-year-old man was shot four times in the back and once in the chest. He was in critical condition at the Penn hospital. Also shot was a 22-year-old man, who was wounded in the left foot. He was stable at the hospital.

A 27-year-old man walked into the Temple hospital about 4:15 p.m. with two bullet wounds to his back. He claimed he was shot at 29th and Huntingdon Streets, but people in the area said nothing had happened there, police said. That shooting victim was listed in stable condition.

About 7:10 p.m. at the Sheraton Four Points Hotel in the Eastwick section, a 34-year-old man was shot in the face outside a family party on the fourth floor. Police later arrested a 43-year-old man, who is expected to be charged with attempted murder.

Lt. John Walker of Southwest Detectives said that the alleged shooter was the father of a 1-year-old child at the party and that the man had shown up unexpectedly. The suspect got into an argument with the family, and the victim, the fiance of the child's mother, tried to calm the father down, suggesting they take a walk. The shooting occurred in a fourth-floor hallway. The victim was reported in critical condition at the Penn hospital.

215-854-5983 @RobertMoran215