DAMASCUS, Syria - Syrian rebels on Sunday released four Filipino U.N. peacekeepers they abducted last week in a dramatic incident that prompted warnings from the Philippines that the nation might pull out its contingent from the Golan Heights.
Meanwhile, a Syrian official said President Bashar al-Assad's troops have the right to enter the Israeli-occupied Golan whenever they wish - a veiled threat toward Israel to stay out of Syria's conflict.
Also Sunday, Damascus rejected Turkey's allegations that Syria was behind two car bombings Saturday that killed 46 people in Turkey and wounded dozens more.
The four Filipinos, seized Tuesday, were apparently unharmed, but they will undergo a medical checkup and stress debriefing, said Brig. Gen. Domingo Tutaan.
The peacekeepers are part of a U.N. contingent that patrols a buffer zone between Syria and the Golan Heights, a plateau Israel captured from Syria in 1967.
The Philippine foreign secretary has said that he would recommend withdrawing Filipinos from the peacekeeping contingent in Syria, but that the final decision is up to the country's president.
Nearly 1,000 U.N. peacekeepers patrol the Golan. Other major contributors are India and Austria. Croatia recently withdrew its contingent.
In Damascus, Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi told a news conference Sunday that Syria has the right to enter the Golan Heights.
"The Golan is Syrian Arab territory and will remain so, even if the Israeli army is stationed there. We have the right to go in and out of it whenever we want and however we please," he said.
His comments came in response to last week's Israeli airstrikes on Syria, which Israeli officials say targeted advanced Iranian missiles intended for Lebanon's Hezbollah.
The strikes marked a sharp escalation of Israel's involvement in the Syrian civil war and raised fears that a conflict that has repeatedly spilled over Syria's borders could turn into a regional war.
Syria has threatened to retaliate, but the official response was relatively mild.
"Israel should understand that the Syrian skies are not a picnic for anyone," Zoubi warned.
"We are a people who do not forget to retaliate against those who commit aggression against us, and we do not forget our martyrs or those who killed them," he said.
Israeli officials had no comment.
Zoubi's comments were the first official Syrian comment since Saturday's blasts in the Turkish border town of Reyhanli, near Syria.