Brett Favre's latest problem is his elbow.
With the NFL investigating whether he sent lewd photos of himself to a Jets game hostess while he played for New York in 2008, Favre said yesterday that his cherished, league-record streak of 289 straight starts could be in danger if the pain in his right elbow gets any worse.
The 41-year-old quarterback did not practice with Minnesota yesterday, preferring to rest the tendinitis that flared up noticeably on Monday night in the Vikings' 29-20 loss to the Jets.
"I don't want to play just to play," Favre said. "It's kind of a funny injury. It could flare up and get worse."
It's even more adversity for Favre this season, which so far has been anything but a repeat of last year's charmed run to the NFC title game. How bad is it? Yesterday, local TV station WCCO posted video of Favre getting hit in the groin by a stray football during a warmup before practice started.
Commissioner Roger Goodell said on Tuesday there is no timetable for completing an investigation into a Deadspin report that Favre sent inappropriate messages and photos to Jenn Sterger in 2008.
And the Vikings are off to a 1-3 start heading into what they call a must-win game against Dallas on Sunday.
* Jets coach Rex Ryan will decide whether Darrelle Revis will play in New York's next game at Denver on Sunday after saying he mistakenly allowed the cornerback to make that determination for Monday's game. Revis played in New York's 29-20 victory over Minnesota, but said his left hamstring was "very sore" and bothered him throughout the game.
* Bears quarterback Jay Cutler (concussion) says he expects to start Sunday against Seattle.
* Oakland Raiders quarterback Bruce Gradkowski sat out practice with an injured right shoulder that could sideline him for this week's game against the San Francisco 49ers.
* The Green Bay Packers might be without tight end Jermichael Finley (right knee) and linebacker Nick Barnett (left wrist) for the rest of the season. Both players had surgery this week and will need more time than originally was expected to recover.
Quarterback Aaron Rodgers (concussion) did not practice but has yet to be ruled out of Sunday's game against Miami.
* The San Diego Chargers placed linebacker Shawne Merriman on the injured reserve list because of a calf injury and a "minor-injury designation." Merriman must be released once he's healthy, the team said.