A new face for the postseason run

CINCINNATI - Now, "The Mask" is part of this Phillies postseason run.

When reliever Ryan Madson walked into the interview room early Sunday evening, he wore a mask that resembled Miguel Cairo smoking a cigarette.

"I went to a Halloween store a couple of days ago with the kids . . . and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get one of those," Madson said before the Phillies played the Cincinnati Reds in Game 3 of the National League division series. "I've been wearing it every day to the playoffs, so I had to wear it again today."

According to Madson, one of the first to see the mask was manager Charlie Manuel.

"Hot tub is where it debuted," Madson said. "That was cool. But the first guy that walked in was Charlie Manuel, and he shook his head. But I kept with it. The guys encouraged me, and I guess my favorite place to wear it would probably be the shower."

Madson's sons - Luke and Ryan - were playing with the mask after the Phillies' Game 2 victory over the Reds on Friday night at Citizens Bank Park when centerfielder Shane Victorino stole it. Victorino put on the mask and ran at Madson's sons, causing the two to run to their father's locker.

Asked if the Mask had a name, Madson playfully said he could not answer any more questions about it for now.

"If we continue to play on, I'll indulge in more questions about the mask," he said. "But we're going to keep it between us."

When asked if there was a second mask that had yet to be revealed, Madson again declined to comment.

"We keep moving on . . . then I'm sure there will be more masks revealed," Madson said. "So it's just another avenue why you want to root for the Phillies, I guess."

More masks, more fun? Isn't that the Six Flags slogan?

T.O. falls and OT memories

With the Cincinnati Bengals playing the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Paul Brown Stadium early Sunday afternoon and the Reds going against the Phillies at neighboring Great American Ball Park at night, the Ohio River was jammed with marine traffic on an unseasonably warm fall day.

T.O. and the Bengals blew a 21-14 fourth-quarter lead and lost on a last-second field goal. The fact that the game almost went into overtime brought back some wonderful memories of the last time a Philadelphia team was in this town on an NFL Sunday. The Bengals went to overtime that day before settling for a tie. If that game had gone to a second overtime, Donovan McNabb and the Eagles would surely have won.