WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. - Penn made 10 free throws in the final 21/2 minutes last night to grind out a 69-61 win over Monmouth in a nonleague game at Boylan Gym.

The Quakers, who got 21 points from Brian Grandieri, improved to 3-7. The Hawks fell to 2-6.

Tyler Bernardini shook off a slow first half to end up with 13 points, while Justin Reilly finished with 12.

Penn connected on 50 percent of its shots from the floor (24 of 48) and went 17 for 24 from the free-throw line. A sloppy first half, in which they made 11 turnovers, forced the Quakers to come from behind.

Monmouth, which shot 56 percent in the first half, led by four, 34-30, at halftime and maintained a four-point lead for much of the second half.

Jack Eggleston's two free throws with a little more than 12 minutes remaining pulled the Quakers to within 40-38 and Bernardini's back-to-back layups gave Penn its first lead, 42-40, after the 7-minute, 51-second mark of the opening half.

Monmouth's scoring drought, which reached 2:50, ended at 9:40 when Whitney Coleman connected on a three-pointer to reclaim the lead for the Hawks, but Bernardini scored his third straight basket at 9:22 to give Penn a 44-43 lead.

George Barbour dropped in consecutive tough baskets at the rim to give Monmouth a 47-45 edge with 7:46 remaining, before Penn answered on three straight possessions to reclaim a 51-47 lead with 5:46 left.

After Conor Turley's free throw with 4:54 showing put Penn ahead, 52-47, Nick DelTufo connected on both ends of a one-and-one to pull Monmouth within three points.

DelTufo's layup as the shot clock expired made it a one-point game, but Aron Cohen answered with a three-pointer trifecta to make the score 55-51 with 3:20 left.

Grandieri's steal down low for a basket, plus a layup at 1:37 pushed the lead to 59-51. His two free throws with 51 seconds left gave the Quakers a double-digit lead, 62-51.

Monmouth's Jhamar Youngblood, who scored 13 of his team-high 15 points in the first half, added four steals and three rebounds.