El Paso officials decide against prosecuting Philly native Jackson
The El Paso (Texas) County district attorney said yesterday that his office is declining to prosecute UTEP junior guard Stefon Jackson, who was accused of lying to authorities about the whereabouts of a cousin from Philadelphia wanted on a felony warrant.
The El Paso (Texas) County district attorney said yesterday that his office is declining to prosecute UTEP junior guard
who was accused of lying to authorities about the whereabouts of a cousin from Philadelphia wanted on a felony warrant.
Jackson, 21, was arrested last month and charged with hindering apprehension or prosecution.
"In reviewing the facts of this case we don't believe there's sufficient evidence to indicate that a crime was committed," District Attorney Jaime Esparza said in yesterday's online edition of the El Paso Times.
Jackson was seventh in the nation in scoring last season at 23.6 points per game. A native of Philadelphia, he played at Martin Luther King High and Lutheran Christian Academy.
* One of five suspects charged in the slaying of Washington Redskins star
has pleaded guilty to charges of second-degree murder and burglary. Defense attorney
said that according to the plea agreement,
will serve 29 years in prison and cooperate with prosecutors.
* Former British diving champion
64, who won a bronze medal at the 1960 Olympics, was sentenced to 9 years in prison for sexually abusing three young girls.
* Amputee sprinter Oscar Pistorius will learn today whether he can race against able-bodied runners at the Beijing Olympics. A ruling will be issued by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
rallied from a four-game deficit in the second set to beat
, 6-4, 7-6 (3) and advance to the Italian Open quarterfinals
* Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic advanced to the quarterfinals of the Hamburg (Germany) Masters.
* The World Series of Golf plans to host a tournament for amateurs next year in Las Vegas that will cost $200,000 to enter and offer a $1.5 million payout for the winner. *