Without preseason All-America guard Jacob Pullen, No. 11 Kansas State was no match for UNLV.
Tre'Von Willis had 16 points as the visiting Runnin' Rebels (11-2) won, 63-59.
Nick Russell's 12 points led the Wildcats (9-3).
Pullen, who had made 82 consecutive starts for Kansas State, was suspended by the NCAA for three games just before the game.
In a statement, the school said Pullen and senior forward Curtis Kelly were being punished for receiving impermissible benefits in connection with the purchase of clothing at a local department store.
It said the length of Kelly's suspension had not been determined by the NCAA's student-athlete reinstatement staff.
Pullen and Kelly are the two top scorers for Kansas State. Pullen also will miss games against Missouri-Kansas City and North Florida.
"These young men have worked hard to represent themselves and Kansas State in a positive manner," coach Frank Martin said in a statement. "Having said that, they made a mistake in judgment and have to pay a price for that."
In other games:
* At Tennessee, Maurice Jones scored 15 points and Southern California handed No. 19 Tennessee its third straight loss, 65-64. It was the first road win in seven attempts for the Trojans (7-5) , dating back to a Feb. 18 win at Washington last season.
The Vols (7-3) were led by Tobias Harris' 14 points.
* At Ohio State, David Lighty scored 29 points and the No. 2 Buckeyes (11-0) beat UNC Asheville, 96-49.
* At Purdue, JaJuan Johnson had 24 points and 13 rebounds to help the No. 14 Boilermakers (11-1) beat Indiana-Purdue-Fort Wayne, 77-52.
* At BYU, Jimmer Fredette scored 28 points and the No. 23 Cougars (11-1) held off Weber State, 72-66.
* At Texas A&M, David Loubeau scored 16 points and the No. 25 Aggies (11-1) routed Wagner, 86-51.
* At New York, Justin Brownlee scored a career-high 21 points and St. John's (7-3) beat previously undefeated Northwestern (8-1), 85-69, to win the Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden.
* At Penn State, Murphy Burnatowski scored 20 points as Maine (6-5) beat the Nittany Lions, 74-64. Penn State (7-4) got 22 points from Talor Battle.
* At Las Vegas, Kawhi Leonard had 23 points and No. 7 San Diego State (13-0) defeated San Francisco, 62-56, in the Holiday Hoops Classic . . . Miami (8-3) beat Oral Roberts, 69-56 . . . Rice (6-4), topped Stetson, 66-63.
* At Miami (Ohio), Dion Dixon scored a career-high 23 points, and Cincinnati (11-0) won, 64-48.
In women's games:
* At NASSAU, Bahamas, Odyssey Sims scored 25 points to help No. 2 Baylor (12-1) beat No. 23 Syracuse, 77-43, in the Sunsplash Shootout.
* At Duke, Jasmine Thomas scored 16 points and the No. 3 Blue Devils (12-0) defeated No. 4 Xavier, 46-45. The Musketeers (10-1) were led by 22 points and 15 rebounds from Amber Harris.
* Mississippi State sophomore forward Renardo Sidney was suspended indefinitely for "conduct detrimental to the team," school spokesman Gregg Ellis said. Ellis confirmed that the suspension is related to an incident during Monday's practice, but he declined to provide further details. Sidney has played in only one game this season because of an NCAA suspension involving improper benefits.
* Redshirt sophomore guard Quincy Roberts will leave the St. John's program and transfer for the spring semester.