DARIUS CARTER had a game-high 16 points and the go-ahead slam with 11.9 seconds remaining to lead No. 11 Wichita State to a 53-52 victory over visiting Alabama last night.
The Shockers (8-1) trailed by 11 with 5 minutes to play but rallied behind Ron Baker (who finished with 14 points) and Fred VanVleet (nine).
Levi Randolph and Shannon Hale each scored 13 points for Alabama (6-3). The Tide managed just one point in the game's final 5:50.
The Shockers stormed back and pulled even behind freshman Rashard Kelly. He hit his only two baskets of the game, both short jumpers in the lane, making it 51-51 with 1:21 to play.
The Tide took the lead again on a Randolph free throw with 32.1 seconds remaining.
But then VanVleet drove, skirted a bounce pass through traffic to Carter, who converted the slam with 11.9 seconds remaining.
Alabama's ensuing possession was a mad scramble for a loose ball, eventually leading to a Tide timeout with 1.2 seconds remaining. Rodney Cooper's hurried shot at the buzzer was an airball.
In other Top 25 games
* At Texas, Myles Turner scored a season-high 26 points to help lead the No. 9 Longhorns to a rout of Lipscomb, 106-61. Turner, a 6-11 freshman, also had nine rebounds and blocked six shots.
Jonathan Holmes scored 17 for the Longhorns (9-1). Malcolm Smith led Lipscomb (4-6) with 17.
In other news, Texas announced it has given sophomore guard Damarcus Croaker an unconditional release from his scholarship.
* At Arizona, Stanley Johnson scored 18 points as the No. 3 Wildcats (11-0) crushed Oakland, 101-64. Kahlil Felder's 20 points led the Golden Grizzlies (4-7).
* At North Carolina, Kennedy Meeks scored 18 points to help No. 24 North Carolina (7-3) beat UNC Greensboro, 79-56. Kayel Locke scored 17 points for the Spartans (4-7).
* At Oklahoma, Buddy Hield scored 16 points to help No. 15 Oklahoma (7-2) defeat Oral Roberts, 85-53. Bobby Word led Oral Roberts (4-5) with 19 points.
* Creighton guard James Milliken has been suspended indefinitely for violating team rules. Milliken has appeared in all 11 games and averaged 5.7 points and 17 minutes.
* Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg announced that redshirt sophomore Sherron Dorsey-Walker, a seldom-used reserve guard, intends to transfer to another school.