is ready to meet with the World Anti-Doping Agency chairman to "provide detailed information involving a history of rampant drug use at the elite level of sport."
Conte, who pleaded guilty to operating a steroids distribution ring at the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, said yesterday in an e-mail that he plans to meet with Dick Pound tomorrow in New York.
"Ironically, I feel it's some of the poor decisions and past mistakes I've made that uniquely qualifies me to make a contribution," Conte said. "I plan to share specific knowledge of past and present Olympic-caliber athletes, coaches and suppliers involved with doping around the world and how they've been able to easily circumvent the anti-doping procedures in place."
Conte was released from prison last year after serving 4 months for his role. BALCO supplied a wide assortment of performance-enhancing drugs - including previously undetectable "designer" steroids - to track and field athletes, as well as pro football and baseball players.
Conte's planned meeting comes as the findings of former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell's 20-month investigation into steroid use in baseball are expected to be announced this week, possibly Thursday.
In a related development:
* The International Olympic Committee said it would delay a decision on the reallocation of BALCO client Marion Jones' five medals - three gold and two bronze - from the 2000 Sydney Games. Jones admitted in federal court in October that she started using steroids before the Olympics, and returned all her medals. The IOC executive board is expected to formally strip Jones of her medals tomorrow, wiping her name from the record books, and ban her from attending future Olympics in any official capacity. However, the IOC needs more time to study the legal and ethical issues of reshuffling the medals - a process that could affect the medal status of 43 other athletes from eight nations. Jones won gold medals in the 100, 200 and 1,600-meter relay, and bronze medals in the long jump and 400-meter relay.
In other Olympic news:
* The Rev. Al Sharpton issued a series of recommendations for reforming the Chicago police department as he reiterated his threat to lobby against the city's Olympic bid if the mayor doesn't respond soon. Chicago beat out several other cities to become the U.S. Olympic Committee's nominee for the 2016 Olympics. The IOC will pick the host city in 2009.
* The IOC released the final $410,000 in frozen funds to the International Boxing Federation, saying the body had adopted the necessary reforms in scoring and judging. The IOC had withheld a total of $1.1 million in Olympic television revenues from the International Boxing Association following the 2004 Athens Games. After freeing $700,000 in two installments over the past 2 years, the IOC promised to pay out the remaining funds if the AIBA staged a successful world championships. The event was held in Chicago in October.
* The AVP Tour will take charge of Australia's pro beach volleyball circuit. The 5-year deal brings together the top beach volleyball organizations from two countries that are recognized as the sport's leaders.
* Two-time Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso agreed to a 2-year contract with Renault after a turbulent season at McLaren. Spanish media reported Alonso will earn $51.3 million per season.