With No. 17 Xavier missing one of its best front-line players, Derrick Brown led the Musketeers to a painful but satisfying 64-59 win over the Cincinnati Bearcats, their crosstown rival, in Cincinnati.
Brown, needed more than ever after senior forward Josh Duncan landed hard and left the game in the second half, scored 11 points in the final 7 minutes, rallying Xavier (8-1) to victory over Cincinnati (4-5).
Brown finished with a season-high 17 points, leading an offense that struggled to score until it absolutely had to in the closing minutes.
Vanderbilt 91, DePaul 85
- Shan Foster and A.J. Ogilvy came through after struggling most of the night, and the 20th-ranked Commodores (10-0) rallied to beat the Blue Demons (2-4) in overtime in Rosemont, Ill.
Foster and Ogilvy both finished with 19 points. Draelon Burns led DePaul with 24.
BYU 88, Lamar 66
- Lee Cummard scored a career-high 27 points and the No. 25 Cougars (8-2) beat the Cardinals (3-6) in Provo, Utah, for their 36th straight home victory.
Trent Plaisted added 22 points for Brigham Youn.
UMass 83, Boston College 80
- Ricky Harris matched his career high with 25 points and Gary Forbes scored 10 of his 22 in the closing five minutes to lift the Minutemen (7-2) to victory over the Eagles (7-2) in the 13th annual Commonwealth Classic in Boston.
Tyrese Rice led Boston College with 26 points.
Penn State 61, Princeton 38
- Geary Claxton had 21 points and 10 rebounds and the Nittany Lions (5-4) pulled away in the second half to defeat the Tigers (2-7) in State College, Pa.
Ohio 61, Maryland 55
- The Bobcats (6-2) handed the Terrapins (6-5) just their fourth nonconference home loss in the last 19 seasons, getting 17 points and 16 rebounds from Leon Williams in a stunning victory in College Park, Md.
Jerome Tillman added 20 for the Bobcats, who never trailed.
Massachusetts-Lowell 77, Philadelphia U. 76 -
Malcolm Ingram scored 23 points but the Rams (4-7) fell to the visiting River Hawks (4-4).
Baylor 80, Oregon 45
- Angela Tisdale scored a career-high 24 points and the No. 10 Bears (7-0) routed the Ducks (5-4) in Waco, Texas.
DePaul 91, Chicago St. 59
- Guard Allie Quigley scored 23 points to lead the No. 16 Blue Demons (8-0) over the Cougars (4-4) in Chicago.
Notre Dame 94, Valparaiso 56
- Ashley Barlow scored 15 of her 19 points in the first half and the No. 17 Irish (9-1) forced 27 turnovers to beat the Crusaders (3-6) in South Bend, Ind., for Notre Dame's seventh straight victory.