St. Louis Blues owner Dave Checketts is heading a group seeking to buy the NFL's Rams and keep the team in St. Louis.
Earlier this week, the Rams announced that the family of former owner Georgia Frontiere has hired the investment firm of Goldman Sachs to review the assets of her estate, including the NFL team. The move was seen as potentially expediting a sale of the franchise.
A spokesman for Checketts, Eric Gelfand, said Checketts first approached Frontiere's son, Chip Rosenbloom, several months ago about buying the team. Rosenbloom and his sister, Lucia Rodriguez, inherited 60 percent of the Rams when their mother died in January 2008. Billionaire Stan Kroenke, owner of the Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche, owns the remaining 40 percent.
Forbes magazine estimates has a value of $929 million.
* Dallas released Greg Ellis, ending the linebacker's career with the Cowboys after 11 seasons and the eighth-most sacks in club history. Last week, team owner Jerry Jones said the club was planning to cut Ellis if he couldn't be traded.
* Denver's Brandon Marshall won't face disciplinary action from the NFL over his latest arrest in a domestic dispute.
* A magistrate in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., dismissed four tickets issued to former New York Giants star receiver Plaxico Burress. His attorney said the tickets were dismissed because the officer who wrote them didn't supply information on how to pay the tickets.
* A judge said he'll move quickly and carefully to resolve a lawsuit by Minnesota's Kevin Williams and Pat Williams, who are fighting their four-game suspensions for their use of a banned substance.
* New Orleans sold out the 70,000-seat Louisiana Superdome for a fourth straight year. The Saints did not raise ticket prices after last season.
* San Francisco cornerback Nate Clements will miss the 49ers' minicamp this weekend with a case of pneumonia.
* A small fire has damaged the office of NFL players' union head DeMaurice Smith. The union says the fire started in a bathroom off the office. No one was in the building and the fire was doused by a sprinkler system.