The New Jersey Devils came to the Wachovia Center last night with an eight-game winning streak and a chance to make NHL history with their 10th consecutive road victory to start the season.

"That's scary," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said.

Flyers coach John Stevens called it a "playoff-like atmosphere." James van Riemsdyk said the team talked about ending the streaks before the game.

And the Flyers did just that.

They scored their second victory in as many chances against the Atlantic Division-leading Devils, a 3-2 win that was not as close as the final score indicated.

The Devils scored a goal with 0.6 seconds left after a scrum in front of the net. Flyers goalie Ray Emery, who made 33 saves, said he didn't think he was given a chance to stop Zach Parise's shot since a Devils player pushed him into the goal.

But by then, that goal meant little, thanks to a great start by the Flyers on both ends of the ice.

"We knew it was going to take our best game to win," said van Riemsdyk, who iced the game with a goal midway through the third. "We talked about being patient out there and to not beat ourselves. You have to take advantage of your opportunities when you get them."

With the road record in the Devils' sights, the Flyers did not allow New Jersey to get a quick start. Just 44 seconds into the second period, the Flyers already led by 2-0.

Martin Brodeur was peppered in the first, facing 15 shots, including a late flurry that resulted in a cross-checking penalty by New Jersey's Andy Greene with 6.5 seconds left in the period. Before the fans had returned to their seats for the second period, the No. 2 power play unit in the league converted on that opportunity.

Scott Hartnell took a pass from Mike Richards in front of Brodeur and tried to pass to Claude Giroux, who was standing on the doorstep. But the puck hit Devils defenseman Mike Mottau and bounced past Brodeur for a two-goal Flyers' lead.

"We got a two-goal lead and we were able to keep it the rest of the night," Emery said. "The only chances they really had were on the power play. So we did a good job at both ends of the ice."

But late in the second, three straight penalties assessed to the Flyers within a span of four minutes opened the door for a Devils comeback. The New Jersey power play, one of the reasons the Devils have been so proficient on the road, scored 24 seconds after Richards was called for tripping. David Clarkson scored on a two-man advantage for New Jersey.

Each team had plenty of first-period chances and Emery was forced to make 14 saves, including a few on dangerous scrambles in front of the net.

In attempt to get more offensive production out of Giroux, Stevens moved the 21-year-old back to the center position, where he had begun the season. While playing right wing on Richards' line, Giroux had scored just one goal.

Promptly, Giroux made a play that created a goal 7 minutes, 11 seconds into the first period. He took a pass from Arron Asham and flipped a backhanded pass from the slot to an open Darroll Powe. Powe easily beat Brodeur for the game's first score.

And that early lead let the Flyers cruise through the third period on their way to denying the Devils a little bit of history.

"Our focus in the third period was to stay out of the box and go play in the offensive zone," Stevens said. "I think we did a good job of that."