A person familiar with the negotiations told the
that Hideki Matsui and the Los Angeles Angels have reached a preliminary agreement on a 1-year contract worth about $6.5 million.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the contract was not yet final. Matsui's agent, Arn Tellem, confirmed "serious negotiations" but declined further comment.
Matsui batted .274 with 28 homers and 90 RBI for the New York Yankees last season, then was selected World Series MVP despite starting only three of the six games against the Phillies.
* Baseball officials with knowledge of the negotiations said the Boston Red Sox have reached tentative agreements with righthander John Lackey and outfielder Mike Cameron. One source said Lackey's deal is for 5 years and worth $16 million to $17 million a season. Lackey, one of the top pitchers on the free-agent market, pitched eight seasons with the Angels.
Another source said Cameron, who had 24 homers and 70 RBI for Milwaukee last season, reached a tentative agreement on a 2-year contract worth $7 million to $8 million annually.
* Free agent lefthander Randy Wolf finalized his $29.75 million, 3-year contract with Milwaukee, which also re-signed Craig Counsell to a $2.1 million deal. The Brewers also have a preliminary, 1-year agreement with reliever Claudio Vargas, a deal pending a physical. The 33-year-old Wolf went 11-7 with a 3.23 ERA in 34 starts for the Los Angeles Dodgers last season.
* Washington and lefthander Scott Olsen have agreed to a $1 million, 1-year contract. Olsen made only 11 starts for the Nationals last season, going 2-4 with a 6.03 ERA before surgery on his left shoulder in July.
* Jason Michaels is staying with the Houston Astros. The backup outfielder agreed to an $800,000, 1-year contract.
* St. Louis third baseman David Freese was arrested in Maryland Heights, Mo., over the weekend on suspicion of driving while intoxicated. Details of a sobriety test were not released, but Freese was arrested for driving while intoxicated and failure to drive within a single lane.