was voted the PGA Tour player of the year by the players yesterday, the 10th time in his 13 years on tour that he has won the award.
Woods started and finished the season the same way - with questions when he would return. He was coming off knee surgery at the beginning of the year, and last week announced an indefinite leave after admitting to marital infidelity.
In between, he won six PGA Tour events, captured the FedEx Cup and its $10 million bonus, won the money title for the ninth time in his career with over $10.5 million, and had the lowest scoring average for the ninth time.
In other golf news:
* Spain's Pablo Martin moved into position for his second straight victory, shooting a 4-under 68 in the South African Open to take a two-stroke lead over Denmark's Anders Hansen.
* Arena Football One, the new Arena Football league set to begin play next year, has completed the purchase of assets from the AFL that folded last year. No Philadelphia franchise has been announced.
* Ex-NFL running back Lawrence Phillips has been sentenced to more than 31 years in prison for attacking his girlfriend and driving his car into three teens. Phillips, 34, was sentenced in San Diego for assault and other crimes.
* Adrian Gilliam, 33, a convicted killer who pleaded guilty to selling the gun used to kill ex-NFL quarterback Steve McNair has been sentenced in Nashville to 2 1/2 years in prison.
* Anthony Maher scored a pair of goals and goalie Sanaldo stopped nine shots, but the Kixx (1-4) fell to host Baltimore, 9-8, in the Major Indoor Soccer League. The Blast improved to 3-1.