Home field played a factor for Cabrini on Sunday.

After trailing, 2-0, early against Amherst, the Lincoln Financial Field crowd of 18,702 roared the Cavaliers back into the game. And it wasn’t just one player doing the job. Cabrini had nine hot hands that fed its 16-12 victory over the Mammoths for the NCAA Division III men’s lacrosse championship.

“It’s an unreal feeling,” said Cabrini attack Kyle Tucker, who scored three goals. “I didn’t have words to describe it when I was out on the field. All I could do is put my hands on my head and think about how unbelievable this experience is. I’m glad I got in touch with Coach Steve Colfer a couple of years ago.”

Neither Cabrini nor Amherst had made a championship game before Sunday.

Tucker, who added an assist, wasn’t the only one scoring a hat trick for the Cavaliers. Bill Morgan, a Marple Newtown graduate, had three goals on four shots. Jordan Krug (Cherokee), Tyler Kostack (Marple Newtown), and Timmy Brooks (Haverford School) each netted two goals, and Jake Huey (Marple Newtown), Kevin Leyden (Haverford), Sean Wagner, and Kyle Myers added a goal a piece.

Cabrini trailed, 3-2, entering the second quarter.

After an unsportsmanlike conduct call on Tucker, Amherst extended the lead to 6-3. Goals by Kostack, Huey, and Krug evened the score at 6 at the half.

With the score 9-9 in the third quarter, Tucker and Kostack scored before Amherst’s Evan Wolf (Lower Merion) answered to make it a one-goal game entering the fourth quarter.

With Brooks leading the way with a pair of goals, the Cavs outscored Amherst, 5-2, in the fourth quarter to win their first championship.

Cabrini goalie Riley White (Plymouth Whitemarsh) had 11 saves while his Amherst counterpart, Gib Versfeld (Langhorne, Pa.), had nine.

Wolf had two goals and an assist for Amherst.

“I don’t think they did anything special,” Wolf said of Cabrini. “They’re a hell of a defense, and in the end it comes down to ground balls, and they beat us late in the game.”