MUMBAI, India - Police searching a mound of baggage abandoned amid the carnage of the attack on Mumbai's main train station found two bombs yesterday - nearly a week after they were left there by gunmen - in a stunning new example of the botched security that has become a major issue in India since the three-day siege.

The discovery came as Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee said that India was "determined to act decisively" following the attacks, saying that the evidence was clear that the gunmen had come from Pakistan and that their handlers were still there.

His words, the strongest yet from the government, came as thousands of Indians - many calling for war with Pakistan - held a vigil in Mumbai to mark one week since the start of the rampage that killed 171 people.

While searching through about 150 bags, which police believed had been left by the dozens of victims in the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus station, an officer found a suspicious-looking bag and called the bomb squad, said Assistant Commissioner of Police Bapu Domre. Inside were two 8.8-pound bombs, which were taken away and safely detonated, he said.

After the attacks, police found unexploded bombs at several of the sites, including two luxury hotels and a Jewish center.

It was not immediately clear why the bags at the station had not been examined earlier. The station, which serves hundreds of thousands of commuters, was declared safe, and reopened hours after the attack.

The discovery has added to increasing accusations that India's security forces missed warnings and bungled its response to the Nov. 26-29 attacks.

Indian navy chief Sureesh Mehta has called the response to the attacks "a systemic failure." The country's top law-enforcement official has resigned and two top state officials have offered to quit amid criticism that the 10 gunmen appeared better-trained, better-coordinated and better- armed than police in Mumbai.

Mukherjee yesterday adopted a more strident tone against longtime rival Pakistan.

"There is no doubt the terrorist attacks in Mumbai were perpetrated by individuals who came from Pakistan and whose controllers are in Pakistan," Mukherjee said after a meeting with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, visiting as part of a U.S. effort to ease tensions in the region.

"The government of India is determined to act decisively to protect Indian territorial integrity and the right of our citizens to a peaceful life, with all the means at our disposal," he said, a turnaround from earlier statements that ruled out military action.

Rice urged Pakistan to act "transparently, urgently and fully," saying Islamabad has a "special responsibility" to cooperate with the investigation. She noted that with six Americans killed in the attacks, the U.S. was cooperating closely with India.

Many Indians wanted more than just harsh words, with large numbers calling for war. *