Lightning strikes late vs. Isles
Tampa Bay's Valtteri Filppula's two goals in the last 3 minutes forces overtime, and Lightning wins in a shootout.
VALTTERI FILPPULA scored twice in the final 3 minutes of regulation and then converted in the shootout to rally the visiting Tampa Bay Lightning past the skidding New York Islanders, 3-2, last night.
Nikita Kucherov also connected in the shootout as the Lightning handed New York its 13th loss in 14 games (1-9-4). The only Islanders victory during that stretch came in a shootout last Tuesday at San Jose.
Filppula scored his second third-period goal off a scramble with 3.8 seconds left to force overtime. He also scored at 17:07 to cut New York's lead to 2-1. He has 12 goals on the season.
Kyle Okposo and Frans Nielsen scored for the Islanders. Nielsen also scored in the shootout but the game ended when John Tavares couldn't convert the final chance for New York against Ben Bishop.
The Islanders lost their sixth straight home game - the past four in overtime or a shootout - and dropped to 0-16-5 when scoring fewer than three goals.
In other games
* At Dallas, Ray Whitney scored twice and Colton Sceviour's goal with 2:58 left gave the Stars a 3-2 win over Colorado.
* At St. Paul, Minn., Jason Pominville's shootout goal lifted the Minnesota Wild to a 3-2 win over Vancouver.
* At Montreal, Max Pacioretty scored twice in the third period to lead the Canadiens to a 3-1 victory over the Phoenix Coyotes.
* At St. Louis, Joe Pavelski scored the first of three straight goals by San Jose, and Antti Niemi stopped 20 shots to lead the Sharks to a 4-2 win over the Blues.
* At Nashville, Duncan Keith scored a goal and added an assist to lead the Chicago Blackhawks to a 3-1 win over the Predators.
* At Detroit, Sami Vatanen had a goal and an assist and the Anaheim Ducks used a four-goal first period to extend their winning streak to six games with a 5-2 win over the Red Wings. Detroit has lost its past six games (0-4-2).
* At Boston, Zdeno Chara scored two power-play goals and Jarome Iginla had a pair of assists against his former team to help the Bruins beat the Calgary Flames, 2-0.
* At Buffalo, Marcus Foligno, Matt Moulson and Matt Ellis scored in the third period to lift the Sabres to a 4-2 win over the Winnipeg Jets. It was Buffalo's first regulation win since Nov. 15, when interim coach Ted Nolan took over for Ron Rolston.
* At Toronto, Tomas Fleischmann, Sean Bergenheim and Brad Boyes scored and the Florida Panthers topped the slumping Maple Leafs, 3-1.
* Columbus right wing Jared Boll will be out 3 to 4 months after ankle surgery Monday.