Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

Blue Jackets beat Penguins in overtime

Columbus rallies from a three-goal deficit to win and even their Stanley Cup playoff series, 2-2.

BRANDON DUBINSKY scored with 22.5 seconds left in regulation to force overtime and Nick Foligno's wrist shot just inside the blue line 2:49 into the extra session gave the Columbus Blue Jackets a 4-3 victory over the visiting Pittsburgh Penguins last night.

The Blue Jackets overcame a 3-0 deficit for their first home playoff victory in the franchise's 13 seasons, sending the series back to Pittsburgh for Game 5 on Saturday night tied 2-2.

Craig Adams, Chris Kunitz, James Neal scored in a span of 5:01 of the first period to stake the Penguins to a 3-0 lead. But Ryan Johansen and Dubinsky each had a goal and an assist and Boone Jenner also scored for Columbus, making only its second postseason trip.

It was the fourth time in the series that the team that scored first - and also went on to hold a 3-1 lead - lost.

With the Penguins hanging on to a 3-2 lead in the third period, Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury made a big save on Matt Calvert's second shot in a flurry. Calvert later got behind Brooks Orpik on a breakaway and his forehand clanged off the crossbar, setting off a loud groan in Nationwide Arena.

But Fleury was the culprit when he went behind the cage to handle Jack Johnson's pass around the boards in the final minute. He whiffed trying to handle the puck and was stuck out of position, allowing Johansen to slide a centering pass through the crease, where Dubinsky netted it with 22.5 seconds left.

What followed was the loudest sound heard in the Blue Jackets' mostly dismal 13 seasons.

In the overtime, the Blue Jackets had the best of it - as they had for all but the start.

Foligno carried the puck through the neutral zone and was just across the blue line when he fired a low wrister that he tucked under Fleury's glove.

In another game

* At Dallas, goals by Cody Eakin and Alex Goligoski 1:22 apart early in the third period lifted the Stars past Anaheim, 4-2, and into a 2-2 series tie.


* The NHL cracked down hard on Matt Cooke, suspending the Minnesota Wild left wing for seven games for his knee-to-knee hit that injured Colorado Avalanche defenseman Tyson Barrie.

In Game 3 on Monday, Cooke played a key role in Minnesota's 1-0 overtime win in quieting Avalanche stars Nathan MacKinnon, Paul Stastny and Gabe Landeskog, matching up against that line often. Cooke was all over the ice, colliding with almost every white Colorado jersey he could get close enough to and providing Minnesota plenty of energy in a game it had to win.

But Cooke crossed the line, the league ruled, by sticking out his knee to clip Barrie in open ice early in the second period. Barrie, who ducked to his right in attempt to avoid the collision, tumbled over in immediate pain. He suffered a medial collateral ligament injury to his left knee and will need 4 to 6 weeks to recover.

Game 4 is tonight in St. Paul, Minn., with Colorado leading the series, 2-1.

* Anaheim Ducks defenseman Stephane Robidas said he will not need surgery to repair the second break in his right leg this season. He is out for the season.