A 2-year-old boy was badly burned Monday when someone used gasoline to light a barbecue grill at a house in New Castle, Del.

According to the state Fire Marshal's office, which is investigating, the gasoline vapors erupted into flames, and the child, who was nearby, received second- and third-degree on his face and chest.

A family member rushed him to Wilmington Hospital, and he was transferred to the Crozer Burn Center in Upland, Delaware County, where he was listed in critical condition Monday night, according to the fire marshal's office.

The incident occurred just before 2 p.m. in the 200 block of East Hazeldell Avenue.