Inquirer Preseason Boys' Basketball Top 25
Records are from last season.
1. Roman Catholic (29-2). The Cahillites are spurred by a trio of Penn State recruits: point guard Tony Carr and wings Lamar Stevens and Nazeer Bostick. Paul Newman, a 6-foot-7 forward, and guards D'Andre Vilmar and Dakquan Davis are also in the mix.
2. Neumann-Goretti (29-2). The Saints' bid for a sixth Class AAA state crown in seven seasons is headed by 6-8 forward Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree and savvy guards Quade Green, Zane Martin, Vaughn Covington, and Rasheed Browne.
3. Westtown (25-8). Mohamed Bamba, a 6-11 center and lead guard Jair Bolden make up a solid one-two punch. A strong supporting class includes 6-6 guard Cameron Reddish, a transfer from Haverford School, and 6-4 wings Najja Hunter and Brandon Randolph.
4. Imhotep Charter (22-10). The speedy Panthers return guards Daron Russell and Jaekwon Carlyle, a Hampton recruit, 6-4 wing Jaquan Arrington, and 6-5 forward Josh Townsend. Koby Thomas is a 6-5 wing and transfer from Mastery North.
5. Chester (14-11). The Clippers' imposing lineup includes 6-8 center Maurice Henry, a Delaware State recruit, 6-7 wing Marquis Collins, and guards Jamar Sudan, Stanley Davis, Khaleeq Campbell, and Jahmi Bailey-Green.
6. Archbishop Wood (18-6). The Vikings have a solid backcourt duo in Tommy Funk and rising sophomore Tyree Pickron. Support comes from fellow guard Collin Gillespie, 6-6 sophomore Karrington Wallace, and wings Matt Cerruti and Keith Otto.
7. Downingtown West (24-6). Expectations are high, as the Whippets return 6-5 guard Ryan Betley, 6-8 forward Josh Warren, 6-6 guard Dom Guerrera, and 6-7 forward George Gordon. Betley and Warren are bound for Penn and Cornell, respectively.
8. Germantown Academy (22-6). Guards Devon Goodman (Penn) and Kyle McCloskey, 6-10 forward Joe Stinson (NYU), 6-4 wing Gabe Alter (Colgate), and 6-5 forward Evan-Eric Longino lead the three-time defending Inter-Ac League champs.
9. Martin Luther King (23-9). Jabri McCall, Nasir Bell, and 6-7 forward Rasool Samir are the headliners. Qadir Burgess (Bishop McDevitt), 6-5 forward Nahim Lee (West Catholic), and 6-6 wing Jakwon McQueen (Philadelphia Electrical) are transfers.
10. Plymouth Whitemarsh (26-4). Xzavier Malone, a 6-3 guard and Rider recruit, and Simeon Fryer, a 6-5 wing and Upper Dublin transfer, are the cornerstones. The deep Colonials are banking on strong inside play from 6-6 senior Mike Lotito.
11. Archbishop Carroll (23-7)
12. Constitution (24-8)
13. Conwell-Egan (21-8)
14. Episcopal Academy (17-7)
15. Friends' Central (20-8)
16. Central Bucks West (17-7)
17. La Salle (21-7)
18. Pennsbury (25-7)
19. St. Joseph's Prep (18-5)
20. Ridley (23-7)
21. Archbishop Ryan (10-13)
22. Academy of the New Church (10-16)
23. Delco Christian (15-14)
24. Lower Merion (17-12)
25. George Washington (19-7)
Others to watch, listed alphabetically: Abington (26-4), Church Farm (15-11), Conestoga (22-7), Del-Val Charter (17-9), Math, Civics & Sciences (14-14), Octorara (25-3).