Update, 5:30 p.m. - Officer Edward Davies, wounded in a shooting this afternoon, is out of surgery and in critical but stable condition, per a police source. He will likely have a second surgery for his wound.

Police sources have identified both the officer wounded in this afternoon's shooting in Feltonville and the man in custody in connection with the shooting.

Sources said the wounded cop is Officer Edward Davies, 41, a six-year veteran assigned to North Philadelphia's 25th District. A police source said Davies is married and has a 2-year-old son and also has three older daughters from a previous marriage.

The man in police custody in connection with the shooting, sources said, is 31-year-old Eric Torres.

Davies suffered a gunshot wound to the stomach inside a corner store at 4th and Annsbury streets around noon after police say the suspect fled a car stop, abandoned his car near 2nd and Bristol, then ran into the store. The officer, police said, was shot when he chased the suspect inside.

Davies was rushed to Temple University Hospital in critical condition. A police source said around 4:45 p.m. that Davies was out of surgery and upgraded to stable condition.

Police said the suspect, identified as Torres, was taken into custody shortly after the shooting. Sources said a gun believed to be used in the shooting was also recovered. No police officers discharged their weapons during the incident.

Torres, according to court records, has a lengthy record dating back to 2004. Records show that he has been charged numerous times with drug possession, drug possession with intent to deliver, assault and resisting arrest. In 2007, Torres pleaded guilty to drug charges and was sentenced to two to four years in jail. Three years before that, he pleaded guilty to drug charges and conspiracy and was sentenced to six to 23 months in jail followed by a year of probation.

In July 2005, Torres also pleaded guilty to simple assault after being arrested for aggravated assault, simple assault, reckless endangerment and resisting arrest. The other charges were dismissed, and Torres was sentenced to six to 23 months in jail for the assault.

A month before that, records show, Torres also pleaded guilty to drug possession.